High Tech Redneck - Great Products!

TCRay

I drove 2-1/2 hours north on Saturday (yesterday) to meet with Kevin from High Tech Redneck in Rushville, IL. He is as warm and friendly a person as you will meet. He showed me his various night vision setups; MX-160 and PVS-14's. We took the NV units outside. The moon was 3/4 with a fair amount of cloud cover. You could hardly see any stars at all.

I looked through the A Grade MX-160 and a PVS-14. I could tell no difference. I had one up to each eye, sort of going back and forth to decide which I wanted. I finally chose the MX-160. Great Gen 3 NV and saved a little money.

The quick connect/disconnect is really cool. Anyone that would say that you cannot be scanning one minute and have the NV connected to your scope and ready to shoot in 10 seconds or less has never tried one of HTRN's setups. This is a very high-quality device and will work with any scope.

After I purchased the MX-160, Kevin took time to set it up on my AR-15 Armalite. I drove home. On my way, I contacted one of the 18 farmers that I hunt on their property and asked if I could come out later in the evening, around 11:00 p.m. He has an Angus farm and many coyotes.

I arrived there at 10:45 p.m. I went down to some giant rolled hay bales and got out my e-caller. I set it up about 150 feet away and started with a rabbit distress then switched to pup distress then female yote whimpers. From about 250 yards, here comes a nice yote. He is trotting across a tilled field. He was clear as day against the dark background. I reached for my gun and in a matter of 5-10 seconds the MX-160 was attached, the gun is on top of the hay bale and I have the yote in the crosshairs.

He wouldn't stop but kept trotting, so I barked at him. He stopped for an instant and I fired. MISSED!!! He took off. I don't know how I missed, since I had just re-sighted the AR that afternoon at 100 yards with 60 gr Black Hills V-Max.

Well, that was the only yote of the evening. But I was amazed at the clarity of the MX-160. I have hunted this property many times and have it fairly well ranged. I could easily see out 350 - 400 yards with mostly cloudy skies and 3/4 moon that was covered most of the time.

I highly recommend Kevin at High Tech Redneck if you are interested in quality night vision with great customer service. He is passionate about hunting coyotes with NV. If you do business with him, you won't be sorry.

Check him out at www.hightechredneckincorporated.com.

Tom
Alton, IL

If I could just get him to open a place up in Ohio!!
smile.gif
I would love to be able to look through different scopes. I have purchased 3 of them (different models) without having the opportunity to compare them to others which always makes me wonder if there is something better out there ot if I should have bought something different...

I have made an occasional trip to Effingham. not sure how far away that is from Kevin. thats the 1/2 way point to my inlaws place in Missouri and at times I have to do the half way shuffle...
smile.gif

Nice story and great to be able to check out your NV gear purchases in person too.

I bet you don't miss the next time!!!

Tom....

Haven't seen you on in a while.

I am becoming increasingly interested in the PVS14. I like the idea of using a day scope and being able to convert it to NV capable. I have a couple of scopes that I think will work with the unit. Which scope are you using? Is the unit you bought rated for 6.8 and 7.62 calibers ?

I scan with the PS32 so the quick attach unit is not a priority. I scan standing with my gun in a shooting position all the time. I use a bipod in front and a single point sling to hold the buttstock up to my shoulder or close depending on how much clothing I am wearing.

I also want to talk to you about hunting around the cattle. Most of the small farms I hunt have smaller fenced fields and I can usually set up in the empty areas.
However, I was recently contacted by a guy with a 1k acre plus cattle farm. He has lots of cattle and lots of yotes. I did a quick tour of the place and am planning to hunt it soon. Would like to pick your brain a little regarding the cows .....or the bulls ???

PM sent.

Both my PVS-14s are the Pinnacle version only rated for 5.56mm, but they work great behind my Redfield 3-9X-50, Burris XTR 1-4X, and Leopold Pig Plex 1-4X, just DO NOT use the illuminated reticules....

Be careful around the cows, do NOT use Calf Distress while calling!!! It is a good call to bring the 'yotes in but you will also have cows and/or bulls coming in to kick your arse!

The other alternative is to use a helmet mount PVS-14 and a IR laser, which is good out to 200 yards or so too with an IR Illuminator like your Torch Pro....

Thanks Tom for your kind words.....the story is great even though you missed.....I have a few of those stories that I like to forget !

As far as recoil goes we do not limit our branded MX-160s or PVS-14s when used in combinatin with our Jackrabbit QA Mounts. This mount never comes in contact with your scope by virtue of the anti-scratch bands. These bands absorb most of the direct recoil vibration and shock. We test fired this mounting system on a 12 gauge shotgun (10 high brass slug rounds) with an older style dual battery PVS-14 with no damage to either the mount or the PVS-14. Of course if you want to put in on an ITT Night Enforcer you have to abide by ITTs rules of no larger than a 223 or they will void your warranty. Kevin

That is good to know on the heavy duty recoil of the NVOs!!!
cool.gif

I didn't even think the batteries could withstand the recoil off a 12 gauge!

Back