Glock-ed one

Arizona Bushman

Lately, I have been using my shotgun to drop coyotes with stellar results.

The plan is simple; I start calling softly with Bay Bee Cottontail and then take a moment of silence about a minute in and slowly build up the volume for 12-15 minutes until a coyote arrives. This weekend, I took my third consecutive coyote with this formula but I threw in an extra variable to raise the excitement to the next level.

About four minutes into the set, I catch movement coming in from a ways out. I decide to set my shotgun down and slowly draw my Glock 27 from my waist band. Next, I started clicking the volume down on my FoxPro with my free hand. I was hoping to slow the coyote down by lowering the racket but got the opposite result. Maybe it was just my perception of time and distance, but the dog began running at a higher rate...........

At this point I am fully focused on griping the small pistol and just as the front sight comes into focus.........RUFF! Bang, Bang, Bang. Three .40 Cal rounds echo down the ravine and drop the coyote next to a bunch of trash and car parts.

I paced the distance off after collecting myself and counted 19 big steps.

Junk-YardDog.jpg

Good shooting man! I've been working on getting video taking one with my wife's .357 Ruger SP-101, but no luck so far (need a skilled cameraman, or a 3rd arm!)

Would you mind giving Master Blaster and I some lessons with that handgun? We seem to be having some "ISSUES" hitting them with our short guns.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Excellent! Now you got me wanting to do the same thing. I had two hard chargers today that got within 15 feet of me. I brought the S&W .38 revolver along, maybe I'll bring it to the stands tomorrow.

Again, congrats, not easily done.
thumbup1.gif

The majority of the kills I have had in the last few months have been with my carry gun. 2.5" S&W 19.
Love getting them in range (50 yards or less) and taking them with it.

Originally Posted By: mtncatThe majority of the kills I have had in the last few months have been with my carry gun. 2.5" S&W 19.
Love getting them in range (50 yards or less) and taking them with it.
50 yards??? I couldn't even get close enough to one with my pistol at 50 yards to even make him run off.
lol.gif
lol.gif

AB,
Next time you want to stop one, try muting the caller. Very often when the sound just suddenly cuts out in mid-note the coyote will check up for a few seconds to survey the situation. Not always but often enough. I haven't had much luck fiddling with the volume to get one to check up and I usually find myself messing with the remote when I need to be concentrating on the shot. This is especially so at short shotgun ranges.

Originally Posted By: Fling-a-arrowHey bushman,

On your calling, are you taking consecutive 1 min breaks between increasing the volume or running continuously? Thx

I usually mute the call after the 1st minute of calling and then play straight through while increasing the volume every few minutes. After the set is over, sometimes I will sit in silence for a few minutes and give my surrondings one last check before packing up.

Back