Finding bobcat trapping areas. Terrain to focus on.

rio

I am wanting to find bobcat trapping areas in western Montana.
Most cat trapping videos I have watched are desert or Texas regions. Anyone have experience in mountainous regions. Would like to know how to find cats.If someone know of a trapping video that focuses on western Montana type i would like to see it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm from Arizona but northern Arizona in the mountains. I live in a town with an elevation of about 6700 feet and is very mountainy (sp) But I have had luck on the edges of ridges. Any place that has thick cover with trails going through it will always have a bobcat. Bobcats love to stay hidden and don't go in the open very much. Any area with rocky outcroppings or rocky ridges will have cats. Mostly just go out and find some trails through some areas with some cover. Cats always take the easy routes through rough stuff so put your traps near there or right off the trail where the wind will blow your lure across the trails and they will check it out every time. Very curious little guys. . Things that would seem out of place to us, like tinsel, and tape cassete, and furry cat toys hanging near the trap always will catch their attention and they will check it out. Now it's up to you to have your set ready for them when they get there! Good luck. .

Thanks for the tips Bonecollector. I will be searching out cat areas as soon as rifle season is over.
Furry cat toys never would have thought that.

Yeah seems impractical but pretty much anything fuzzy or colorful will get their attention. . Just hang it from from thin wire at the back of the cage. If allowed in your state, hang up little pieces of fur or animal parts also.

Back