Fur Mo-Van is Killing a Few ........ ...... PICS

dan brothers

Well... the Fur-Mo Van and I have had an interesting time. Been killing a few dogs, but not enough to make me happy. Here it is Sunday Morning and I'm sitting here at McDonalds in Hugoton, Ks. drinking coffee and waiting on the sunrise...even though I'm giving the dogs a rest today, and will attend a local church to take a soul refresher. I've been mostly in Western Ok chasing dogs with a friend and on my own. I only shot 6 down there...should of had a few more... but you know how that goes. Kinda like fishing...you catch some and lose some... but I hate those lost opportunities even though they can be learning lessons. I didn't get to hang those
dogs on my van for pictures, but I did get a pic of the two I shot here in Ks the last two mornings...should of had three. The local law here in town made me take them down while being in town because of causing too much local discust... didn't look discusting to me...LOL. Oh well... I'll try
to get somemore fur-paper wrap for my van over the next couple of weeks here in SW Ks, and up the road somewhere. Shot a few PDogs, but it takes alot of them for wallpaper and
they are a little boring compared to charging dogs, so I only spent a little mid-day time with them. If anyone wants to get together and chase something, then it will be better to call me instead of using the internet because I rarely get on it while traveling around. 803-348-1949

Been shooting my Savage 243 and Savage 223... haven't even shot my new CZ 204 yet, but gotta get to it soon. Didn't load enough 243 for the trip, but have my reloading stuff with me, but the hardest part is taking the time to stop and reload... too much stuff to see and places to go... it's easier to just grab another rifle.

My Flextone Echo could be a little louder for these windy days. In the morning when it's calm, it sings out there just fine, but winding days makes it struggle. Gotta take the time to add the extra speaker... may do that today.

My longest shot so far was 305 yds in the chest with the 243, 58 gr Zmax. I know that isn't far for you serious hunters, but it made me happy shooting one that far off using
shooting sticks... now I
want them farther....LOL. Brought a shotgun for Upland Birds, but not really for dogs because I like the sniper concept... just need more willing targets.

Well I guess that's all for now... getting full of coffee and gotta meet the sunrise looking at something before a shower and church time. I only have a couple of pics...hopefully I can get them loaded on my new laptop.

I'll go ahead and post this stuff before I lose it.

Hope you Guys are all doing well. Called TT a couple of times wanting some hand call information, but just relized he was in Utah... I guess I'm a little out of the loop...LOL.

Thanks Guys... Dan

GEDC1502.jpg

GEDC1501.jpg

This is an ongoing story. Be sure to read all the pages.
HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just goes to show you need to use a shorter leash when carrying animals on top of your rig.... Good job, Dan.

just put a hole in a yote in a Pdog town. He saw me drive in and I snuck around him and set up the caller. He came into about 150 yds. Gonna try this area again in the morning.

this is pretty good... sitting here in a van in the middle of a no-where Pdog town... typing on the internet while getting internet through my phone... what will man think of next.

Originally Posted By: shanedoggdicust or lack of respect of the quarry....one of the two....probably the latter....anyway good huntin to ya!

Dan, you didn't really have coyotes hanging off the van in town did ya? Or did ya?

Hey Dan,
Glad to see some of the pics. Nice that you have picked off a few P-dogs also. Maybe you bait the Yote's by killing a few more p-dogs. Hope you are finding your way around with the markers on the trails. Good for you, hope you get to shoot a few multiples! Keep in touch.
Tim

I seen a guy bringing a buck to the check station the other day(which is in the middle of town for everyone to see while hung up) and he was in a flatbed feed truck. i was glad i got to see the buck and knew to follow him to the check station for the story. But then i thougt to myself, how many people will raise he!! about that buck on that flatbed??

thats what all these people yelling ethics sound like to me!! it is his right to kill these animals, that is why there is a season for them! if the antis want fuel all they would have to do is sit at the store at the check in and raise he!! about the public being able to see it.

Im thining the people who govern the hunting thought that by antis seeing dead animals could get us shut down for hunting and bringing them to town for people to see, then they would move check stations indoors!!!

by the way, kids and their moms pull up to the check stations all the time looking at these deer. kids with smiles on and moms with their camera phones posing with the deer.

Well... I knew better to go into town...but I thought that I would only be passing through, and it was late at night as well. But I got sidetracked, and ended up parking for a few minutes, and that was when the saturday night...bored kids... crusing town that got the police involved. I think it is the nature in mankind to be looking for something to complain about.

Over all... I should have left them near my parking area out in the field, so I could regather them later if need be. My mistake... I should have consider their viewpoint... but it was meant to be a short term thing in town... not a newspaper headline...LOL. it won't happen again. But I did get a kick out of it all. And I thought it might help my advertisement as well... and it did...just got both kinds.

Anyways... I'm starting another fur wrap again today. Shot a Big Male this evening with my New Tikka 22-250, 45 gr Winchester white box ammo...4000 fps... it blew right through him behind the shoulder, and was friendly on the fur. I should of had two this morning...missed them both... don't even want to talk about it... but I did learn a valuable lesson on bullet wind drift. If you don't consider 16-20 mph cross wind... then shoot another three times at it's chest at 235 yds, with a 223, 40 gr vmax... stupid...as he stands there focused on screaming rabbit.
Stupid stupid stupid... I think I need to start a book on BIG Mistakes Coyote Hunting.

I'm camping at a good spot this evening, with Pdogs in the next field and coyotes barking all around me. I will be taking Mr. CZ 204 for a test drive in the morning... it's ready to hang coyote fur, like it did on a few Pdogs today. It had never been shot, but I sighted it in today and then killed a few Pdogs... hopefully coyote blood in the morning... with Pics tomorrow evening.

While shooting Pdogs today in another area with all my different rifles, I was bombared with 15-20 hawks. They would sit out there in the field eating those Pdogs like a bunch of buzzards... which made most of the pdogs stay down... which was okay... got tired of shooting them...in the WIND.

The WIND has NOT been my friend...but it will be in the morning.

Last edited:
Ps... had to get out of my sleeping bag for a edit...LOL.

Doggin... Yhea... I did it... but they were small dogs and it was a small town.

Tim... your help with the maps and the road signs works wonderful... I know where I'm at all the time physically... but not always mentally.

That's all for now... gotta jump back into the bag.

Originally Posted By: dan brothers

Ya wanna be famous and get really noticed, you need to hang bigger dogs and drive into bigger towns.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: dan brothers

Ya wanna be famous and get really noticed, you need to hang bigger dogs and drive into bigger towns.

Wolves in LA!?!?!?!?

I like the idea of hanging some fur from the van. I got a Dodge Grand Caravan ill be hunting out of this year bc the Dakota isn't quite roomy enough for two people being a single cab. And I dang sure ain't putting dead coyotes inside it with me so I believe ill be wall papering it as much as possible. I have taken it out a couple time already and I must say a minivan makes one [beeep] of a critter getter. All the room you need for gear, comfortable as can be, good gas mileage, and if you remove the back two seats and throw in a sleeping bag you have a full size bed to take a nap. It doesn't hurt that I basically got it for free. I tagged out deer hunting opening day so just waiting on things to die down a bit and ill be back to hardcore predator hunting. If you happen to come through the show me state get ahold of me and well get together.

and... those mini-vans have front wheel drive...which lets them pull through anything. I love mine... but this bigger van has more room and road clearance...which is needed on these back road cattle trails. I'll contact you if I get into Missouri.

The CZ had a good morning today... killed three and missed one...only because operator error got too close to the air trigger before being locked onto the target...stupid. I learned that lesson quick. The next three shots put'em down. This Killer Schrew looking thing got it's picture taken, but NOT a spot on the van. I had one coyote on there from last night plus today's 3... it should have been 4... not 3.. but oh well... lesson learned.

434344.jpg

GEDC1510.jpg

GEDC1509.jpg

GEDC1504.jpg

GEDC1505.jpg

back in 1990, I went to Alaska caribou hunting with a guy and his two friends... and I ask him... how do you just take off and go to Alaska...? He said it was simple.... you just do it. He said that too many people get held back from do what they desire to do, by all the unknown little details. He said it's best to just take a desire and go for it, and the little details will find of way of workng out.

That my Friend.... is the Adventure of Life.

Ya gotta do it while you can...because someday you won't be able too... or won't want too.

Those are the days I dread... the days of only being able to look back... instead of looking forward to more.

Besides... the World is going to end in 12-21-12.... better do it while you can....LOL.

No kills or action today.... windy windy windy...

Sitting here at McDonalds in Perryton, Tx, washing clothes, getting a burger, and wifi... while waiting for the morning shower and Thanksgiving meal with a PM member.... and of course... some coyote hunting on Friday.

From here...who knows... just taking each day at a time.

That CZ did fire when I took the safety off today... Hmmm... I guess it's too light for hunting.... it scared the heck out of the Pdog town.... had them running everywhere like cockroaches when the light came on.

May the Lord Jesus Bless you all with a Super and Very Happy Thanksgiving Holiday.

Dan

My wife just ask me how many I've killed so far... I had to stop and think.... Hmmmm.... only 12 so far... should have been a easy 20. I wounded one... and missed a few... and I trigger froze on a couple... that means, aiming to hard and not pulling the trigger when it was needed, and ended up jerking the trigger or getting off target by the time it fired...or the dog moved... stupid stuff... green horn stupid stuff.

My two main rifles... savages... have accu-triggeers, which need to be lightened to it's very max... never done it before... but gotta get it done. They may be fine for targets... but I need super light for hunting. I can focus on aiming better if I know the trigger will EASILY break when needed.

Will probably stick with my CZ until I get them fixed.

Back