NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: leebrownWhere can I buy just a few boxes to test? I searched and can't find it available. I mainly deer hunt with buckshot and this stuff looks impressive.

In stock here.
thumbup1.gif

This stuff is wicked.
I flattened a yote @ 60 yards with it the other night in my yard.

But keep in mind it's a low recoil load. It may not have the penetration needed at distances for deer.

at the risk of sounding like an idiot, How many do you get for the 2.99 price? is that per round or is that for a box of 5?

Ryan

Originally Posted By: my7pointmonsterOriginally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: leebrownWhere can I buy just a few boxes to test? I searched and can't find it available. I mainly deer hunt with buckshot and this stuff looks impressive.

In stock here.
thumbup1.gif

This stuff is wicked.
I flattened a yote @ 60 yards with it the other night in my yard.

But keep in mind it's a low recoil load. It may not have the penetration needed at distances for deer.

at the risk of sounding like an idiot, How many do you get for the 2.99 price? is that per round or is that for a box of 5?

Ryan

That's a box of 5 Ryan.

Wow, those are some seriously good prices then... I may get a box just for fact they're only 2.99.... heh. if I hadn't asked I'd have never known.

Ryan.

Edit: Alright now the price makes sense, I didn't think to look if it was a 3.5" mag or not I just happened to catch it before I checked out luckily

Ryan.

Last edited:
Oh yeah that Federal #1 buck flight control 2.75" is tight alright and recoil that is very easy on the shoulder too.

This is out of my Stoeger M2000 24" barrel, cylinder choke @ 30 yds.

IMAG1412_zpsdedd3daf.jpg

I'm liking it in my Mossberg 500 20" barrel, improved cylinder choke @ 30 yds.

IMAG1410_zpscd964b39.jpg

I don't have a pic but I have some groups not so tight and not very even but in those my wad hits the target too. What would be the cause of that?

Federal uses the Flite Control wad which is designed to stay with the shot far down range. I've had that wad bounce off the 40 yard target backer.

Originally Posted By: GCFederal uses the Flite Control wad which is designed to stay with the shot far down range. I've had that wad bounce off the 40 yard target backer.

I pulled the Flite Control wad out of this one's neck:

p1010123h.jpg

It was under 20 yds with the heavyweight coyote load IIRC....

Looks good but I think I read something here about Feds FC wad not playing well with ported barrels.If so they won't pattern well in my 835.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Looks good but I think I read something here about Feds FC wad not playing well with ported barrels.If so they won't pattern well in my 835.
I thought it was the ported "wad stripping" chokes that people have poor results with FC wads....

I haven't tried it in either ported barrels or through ported chokes.

Try that LE1321B and post pics.

Crazy... LOL, I don't doubt it for a minute. As I said, that wad has bounced off the 40 yard target backer really whacking it hard.

Correct as far as I know, it's the wad stripping chokes that play hob with the Flite Control wad. Several companies have developed special extended chokes specifically for the Flite Control wad that cater to the design of the wad to shuffle along with the shot column. I might buy one from Kick's and Pure Gold and see how that Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB load does from my Benelli's. Especially since Remington discontinued the HD-BB load.

I have done some testing with my 12 ga. Rem 870 Express Supermag with Federal and Remington 4 Buck loads. I think I have found a pretty good combo with Rem Express 3" 4 Buck, but my patterns are 6-8" high with all load and choke combos I tested.

I have a lot of experience wingshooting flushing birds, so pointing a shotgun at moving targets comes fairly naturally to me. This is my first trial with "aiming" a shotgun at a stationary target. I was shooting from a sitting position using sticks as a front rest. Recoil on the shoulder was no problem, but my cheek took some beating shooting this way.

Can anyone offer advice to lowering the pattern? I have some rifle style clamp on turkey sights, but I would much prefer to use the standard bead on a shotgun. Would installing a taller front bead help lower point of impact? What about changing out the stock?

Results below are 40 yards (confirmed by range finder) with Carlson's Coyote choke and the circle on the page is 9" for reference:

First two I aimed with the orange dot floating just on top of the bead
photobucket-1934-1350824233810.jpg

I pulled this one left a bit, but POA was same as first.
photobucket-1897-1350824235014.jpg

This one I aimed about 8" low to compensate
photobucket-505-1350824235332.jpg

Tool in question.
photobucket-2804-1350824232610.jpg

A taller front bead would lower your point of impact. Your pattern looks a little weak to me though. Is that choke tube marked to show the I.D. ? A .675 or .680 should be close.

Rich, What do you consider to be an acceptable pattern for #4 buck? With a taller bead and a slight change in my sight picture, I was able to bring the pattern down right where I want it.

Measured with my calipers the Carlson's choke is 0.665". I have a factory Remington extended super full which measures 0.675" and the factory flush full choke is 0.690". After multiple shots with each, the Carlson's was the most consistent and tightest pattern.

With eight shots for this load/choke combo I am averaging right at 10 pellets in a 9" circle at an honest 40 yards (first 4 shots adjusted for high POI).

Originally Posted By: mac805Rich, What do you consider to be an acceptable pattern for #4 buck? With a taller bead and a slight change in my sight picture, I was able to bring the pattern down right where I want it.

Measured with my calipers the Carlson's choke is 0.665". I have a factory Remington extended super full which measures 0.675" and the factory flush full choke is 0.690". After multiple shots with each, the Carlson's was the most consistent and tightest pattern.

With eight shots for this load/choke combo I am averaging right at 10 pellets in a 9" circle at an honest 40 yards (first 4 shots adjusted for high POI).

-----------------------
It took me awhile to find the right choke/load combo to achieve this pattern, so don't despair.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/cronkcalls/DSCF12921.jpg
Your choke tube may be too tight. .660 works good with BB's though.

I bought a bunch of Federal Heavyweight 3" 1-1/4 oz of #2 shells from Rodger's Sporting Goods when they had them on sale.

I didn't realize that the Federal Heavyweight shot was so much heavier than Hevi-Shot and Remington Wingmaster HD shot.

Hevi-Shot and Rem HD shot is 12g/cc and the Federal Heavyweight shot is 15g/cc. On the Federal Heavyweight box it says that the Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead.

Yesterday I shot a catalog at 40 yards with a Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz copper coated lead BB load and a Federal Heavyweight #2 load.

The copper coated BBs penetrated to pages 105, 109, 125, 135 & 137.

The Federal Heavyweight #2s penetrated into the same catalog to pages 282, 377, 379, 399, 405, 410, 433, 463, 465 & 475.

The Federal Premium copper coated lead BB load has 98 pellets per shell and the Federal Heavyweight 2 load has 78 pellets per shell. Five of the lead BBs hit the catalog and ten of the Heavyweight #2s hit the catalog.
IMG_8570.jpg

In the above picture are the pellets I took out of the catalog. The copper coated lead BBs all flattened out when they hit the catalog. The Federal Heavyweight #2s stayed round and penetrated much deeper.

I have shot quite a few coyotes with Hevi-Shot and Remington Wingmaster HD shot and these heavier than lead hard pellets break bones much more often than lead loads do.

See... that right there is why this thread is such a great resource. Thank you again Bob for another great contribution!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI didn't realize that the Federal Heavyweight shot was so much heavier than Hevi-Shot and Remington Wingmaster HD shot.

Hevi-Shot and Rem HD shot is 12g/cc and the Federal Heavyweight shot is 15g/cc. On the Federal Heavyweight box it says that the Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead.

The copper coated lead BBs all flattened out when they hit the catalog. The Federal Heavyweight #2s stayed round and penetrated much deeper.

Very interesting!

Yesterday I shot a small coyote running straight away from me at 30 yards with one of my 3" reloads with 1-1/2 oz of Federal Heavyweight #2 shot in it.

IMG_8756.jpg

I was surprised to see 3 exit holes in the forehead and below the eyes on this coyote.

It looks like these shells with 90 to 93 of the Federal Heavyweight super heavy #2 shot in them are going to work great on coyotes.

I periodically revisit this thread to read all the info. I have been using my AR for hunting coyotes, but am going to start taking a friend and think we should have one on the shotgun.

SO many different loads have come and gone, how about a short starting list of 3" ammo I should start my testing with.

Thanks

Well I'm absolutely sold on the Federal flite control ammo. Start with the most open choke to have then go tighter. My guns put out very tight patterns with open skeet tubes.

Originally Posted By: leebrownWell I'm absolutely sold on the Federal flite control ammo. Start with the most open choke to have then go tighter. My guns put out very tight patterns with open skeet tubes.

I wish they'd come out with a plated lead BB FC load as an economical alternative to their Heavy Coyote load.

If someone wants to save time and money FC loads work well for me, also. The Heavy Coyote, while high in cost per round, has given me broadside pass throughs on coyotes and bobcat from beyond 30 yards.

The #1 Buck is just phenomenal.

Back