22-250

Chad1754

What kind of damage does a 22-250 do to the fur? Im looking into trading my .223 for a 22-250 for longer more accurate shots and am wondering what it compares to like a .223?

It depends where you hit. I shoot 55 grain V-Max's out of both my 22-250 bolt and my 223 AR. My chrono speeds are 3424fps with the 22-250, and 3120fps with the 223. I seam to shoot the AR more than the bolt, since I get quicker shots on multiple yotes. My AR shoots tighter groups than my bolt rifle, so that is another reason the AR gets shot more.

Originally Posted By: Chad1754What kind of damage does a 22-250 do to the fur? Im looking into trading my .223 for a 22-250 for longer more accurate shots and am wondering what it compares to like a .223?

For a dedicated coyote round, the 22-250 is hard to beat. A damaged pelt in hand is still worth more than the one that got away. Also the -250 can be loaded down to 223 velocity and thus can equal pelt damage. Few serious coyote hunters [pelt] who run the 22-250 run it at max velocity. Load it for accuracy and you will find acceptable pelt damage. At the same time you can run full house loads for efficient killing and not worry about pelts and gain trajectory.

My 22-250 is a Rem 700 VSSF II, this is one sweet gun that I would highly recommend, that price is good for a used one, BUY IT....Riflemann

Originally Posted By: RiflemannMy 22-250 is a Rem 700 VSSF II, this is one sweet gun that I would highly recommend, that price is good for a used one, BUY IT....Riflemann

+2
thumbup.gif

+3 for the 22-250. Mine is a 22-250AI. It's awesome. With right twist, which is 1 in 8" or 1 in 9" you can use the 69 gr SMK. Should cut down on pelt damage. Cheers, Ottway

The last couple coyotes I shot have been with a Barnes ttsx federal premium factory load in my Howa 22-250 and was pencil in and quarter out on they for the most part. 2 were DRT and the other one was a couple spins and down. Pricy bullet for coyotes i guess but I dont shoot a ton a year and i also shot my last antelope with the same load so its ok by me. Ofcourse 3 coyotes isnt a definitive test, jsut saying that to show that certain variables lead to certain results and with a little playing you can find a more than suitable load with either, but my preference is the 22-250, its my personal favorite coyote round.

I also shot a badger with that load and hit just below the chin on a frontal shot and came out right in front of the genitailia and was barely larger than 22cal hole and it was at 50 yards tops so acted more like a FMJ but DRT badger.

Chad,
Try the sierra 52gr Match, they perform well for me on coyote's! Not much damage at all, most will not exit around 3400 to 3500fps.

Steve

I use a 52 BTHP bullet loaded to around 3600 fps. It is not screaming, but dead accurate.
I have only had a couple bullets make a mess. Usually it is one .22 caliber hole in, and jelly inside. No exit hole.
It has worked very well for me.
I have not had that kind of response from .223.
A .22-250 will increase your effective range. It is a very capable deer cartridge with appropriate bullets(ok, maybe a little small if you are a purist, but I would have to tell that to all the deer that I have killed with it to get their opinon...)much more so than a .223.
It is extremely accurate cartridge to load for, and has great ballistics and flexibility.

Pretty hard to beat for coyotes and other predators, and smaller eatables...

As for Whitaker's Guns in Kentucky...a big thumbs up. They are wonderful. That is a great price on a 700 VSSF and would make a fantastic rifle for coyotes. I would snag it up.

re

Thanks guys I ended up getting a deal on a Savage Model 12 with 26" heavy barrel, accu trigger and accu stock. Shoots great so far but need to put some new glass on it.

Congratulations on your rifle!!
I bought one just like it last month, what a shooter.
Mine will shoot 10 shots@100yds that I can cover with a dime.
If your interested: (but check your reloading manual first)
Win. brass Win. primers 52 gr. Sierra HPBT #1410
35 gr. VARGET OAL. 2.436

Back