SCOPE CLARITY???????????

2muchgun

I hear this term used here ALL the time.

Someone please explain to me what it means, becaause I have NO idea.

Thanks........

According to Webster: "The quality of being easily seen through".

Okay. My windows are clear, the ice tea bottle I'm drinking out of right now is clear, the saran wrap I wrapped my leftover steak in last night is clear, the cellophane on my buds pack of cigarettes is clear. I can easily see through ALL of them.

I have never had a problem seeing through a low end scope. Have you? Matter of fact, I've never had a problem seeing through ANY scope. They are ALL in fact CLEAR. As is every single lens in every single scope, before any coatings are applied.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI hear this term used here ALL the time.

Someone please explain to me what it means, because I have NO idea.

Thanks........

In scopes, it means contrast, but no one uses that word cuz it's hard for people to understand.

In "plain words", it means "lack of fogginess", or the view has "Crispiness"... the blacks seem really black.

It's like the difference between those mornings in the fall when you go out and the air is so crisp and clean because a cool front is moving in - and all the other days
smile.gif

I hope the above explanation has "clarity"... (I couldn't help it - de' debil made me say it
smile.gif
)

I think clarity gets confused with image sharpness. A "clear" scope provides a crisp image with clear resolution.

JMO on how I personally view this topic.

Clarity is simply NOT a term people in the optics industry use. With good reason.

When someone speaks in terms of color rendition, contrast, flatness of image, image resolution, edge to edge clarity, brightness, abberation, etc. I know what they mean. When they say "My scope is really nice and clear" it really means NOTHING. It's like describing water as being wet.......

Ok I'm guessing you must be in the mood to argue or disagree so I'll go ahead and bite. clarity is a scale just like the ratings of diamonds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_clarity

I'm not sure how this is even a topic that needs to be discuss. Yes I have looked through many low end scopes and have used them with fine results, but to say you can't tell a difference is a joke. I'm pretty sure I remember you singing the praises of high end scopes in past threads but maybe I'm wrong.

My windows are clear too but they are 60+ years old and there is a noticeable difference over windows that are brand new.

Here is one on camera lens quality and clarity.

Good thing most of us aren't in the optics industry so when someone says their scope is really clear I am able to figure out what they mean by it.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-quality-mtf-resolution.htm

Think high definition compared to standard definition when watching TV.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I think clarity gets confused with image sharpness. A "clear" scope provides a crisp image with clear resolution.

A scope can be clear and have poor resolution.. and it can not be clear and have good resolution - they do not have any connection with each other.

Did you read your own article? They used the terms "contrast and resolution". Also said it does not measure "color quality and abberation". These terms make sense. I did NOT see the term "clarity" used, did you?

The diamond thing is irrelevant, has nothing to do with it. Not the same thing. Diamonds are natural material containing natural imperfections.......

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760I think clarity gets confused with image sharpness. A "clear" scope provides a crisp image with clear resolution.

A scope can be clear and have poor resolution.. and it can not be clear and have good resolution - they do not have any connection with each other.

Please elaborate...

I do not think something can "not be clear" and have good resolution. It makes no sense.

Clear means easily seen through. Resolution is how many little lines you can see. The extent of readily recognizable detail.

I have a fancy textured/painted wall in my finished basement. With good scopes I can see every last detail in it. With others, some of the same details do not show up at all. That is resolution. Both scopes are clear........

It's just a word used by some to describe the image seen, to their understanding. It doesn't have to be a definitive term for optics. It's all perception.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI do not think something can "not be clear" and have good resolution. It makes no sense.

Clear means easily seen through. Resolution is how many little lines you can see. The extent of readily recognizable detail.

I have a fancy textured/painted wall in my finished basement. With good scopes I can see every last detail in it. With others, some of the same details do not show up at all. That is resolution. Both scopes are clear........

Pretty much like looking at a bush as a blur, or seeing leaves and sticks.

This is how I was trying to describe it.

I usually use my neighbors truck when focusing scopes, at home. It's about 85 yards away. There is a big difference CE between a blurry license plate, and be able to tell the screws are Philips Heads.

Again. Just my opinion on how I, me, Shane Reynolds, views the subject.

"As a general rule light transmissions over 85% are considered to be transparent".

Almost every scope out there has a LT of over 85%. Which would make them ALL transparent, according to your article. Again, proving my point.

Dude cmon, really. That thing is talking about how see-through a piece of plastic is. Has nothing to do with optical grade glass.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun"As a general rule light transmissions over 85% are considered to be transparent".

Almost every scope out there has a LT of over 85%. Which would make them ALL transparent, according to your article. Again, proving my point.

Dude cmon, really. That thing is talking about how clear a piece of plastic is. Has nothing to do with optics.......

I could probably go find a few things that use plastics for optics if you want me to.

Back