squirrel secrets

One thing I try and do if sitting is not shoot the first squirrel I see. Let one or two come out and get comfortable. Then knock one off and wait a little for the others to come back out. I also don't run out and grab the squirrel at the shot. Many times I'll drop a couple and wait, then go get them. It takes them a while to pinpoint you like that. It seems I have to wait longer for others to come out if I shoot the first one I see in the morning. If I'm walking slowly on logging roads hunting them, I just shoot them on site and move on quietly. Stay within your comfortable shooting range of logs when sitting, they are squirrel highways
wink.gif

Best way to hunt them, find yourself a comfy spot to sit and lean back against a tree and keep quiet.
Take a nap, and soon as you fall asleep they will show up.

NO SNORING !!

Man I never knew skwerl hunting could be so tough. I walk out my back door, make it a couple hundred yards and walk back and clean my limit

I actually read somewhere to knock on your gun stock if you're set up and see a squirrel out of range to bring it in. I gave it a shot a few years ago. Had one bounding through the trees 60yds out, tapped my wedding ring on the forearm of my shotgun and maybe it worked or maybe it was a cooencidence but he started my way and ended up killing him. If I recall. It was something territorial.

Around here we hunt in mature oak trees along a creek. I will generally slip in discreetly and sit quite; wait to hear their activity be it a call, falling debris or rustling on the ground or in the trees. Wear full camo including gloves and face mask, do not move. When you kill one, spot where it falls but remain still, there will be more in the area. It is not uncommon to shoot six or more from one location. The key is you have to spot them before they spot you. If I don't spot one within 20 minutes, I will move 50yds or so and repeat. When hunting in my deer hunting areas, I will get in the stand.

Never needed a call to get my limit, which is 12 here in Arkansas.

Last edited:
Back