Scope opinions... Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell

theyoungjedi

Having a hard time deciding on which scope to buy because I haven't had a chance to ever look through a vortex or any of them side by side.

It's a toss up right now between this Buckmasters:
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?cont...prodTitle=Nikon

This Viper:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44

or possibly this Bushnell:
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?cont...dTitle=Bushnell

Thoughts? I'm leaning heavily towards the viper because of what i've read and their stellar warranty.

Personally, I do not like big, heavy scopes on my ARs. Both wear 3-9x40s. However, I do not use them specifically for LR target shooting. Mostly hunting and plinking.

Being as I do not know what king of rifle/setup you have, I would go with the the minimum sized/lightest scope that you think will get you by.

40mm would be the largest obj. lens I would want. I also like something lower than 6x on the low end, but I hunt with mine.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunPersonally, I do not like big, heavy scopes on my ARs. Both wear 3-9x40s. However, I do not use them specifically for LR target shooting. Mostly hunting and plinking.

Being as I do not know what king of rifle/setup you have, I would go with the the minimum sized/lightest scope that you think will get you by.

40mm would be the largest obj. lens I would want. I also like something lower than 6x on the low end, but I hunt with mine.....

+ 1 and I also like 2-7 too.

FYI- SWFA also has some closeout deals on Sightron scopes

LR scopes that have worked for me and my shooting buddies so far:

The Bushnell 3200 fixed 10 x 40 Mil/ Mil or Mil/ MOA scopes. These are some outstanding scopes that we have taken out to 700yds on a 25-06 and a 308. It's a fixed 10x with no paralell adjustment. I would say with good eyes, you could run them to 800yds. After that, an adjustable OBJ is a must. this scope tracks perfectly and the mildots are spaced correctly. Has never lost zero- on any of the 4 scopes that we have in this model.

The 10x super sniper scope by SWFA . One of the newer scopes in our arsenal. It's mounted on a buddy's Savage FP-SR in 308. With a 30mm tube, it's got an unbelivable amount of elev adjustament in the turret. Crystal clear, adjustable OBJ, tracks perfectly, and is 50BMG rated. Never lost zero Have ran it out to 600yds only as of this date, but it's a champion. IMO, probaly the best 10x dialer for the price.

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 x 40 Mildot This is what is riding on top of my Stevens 7mm-08. I like the adjustable power for hunting applications. POI does not change through the power setting, tracks perfectly with the small turrets (you can buy large turrest for it), adjustable OBJ and is VERY clear, mildots are spaced accuratly, and has never lost zero. Dialed it out to 600yds so far with no issues. Going to see if I can dial it out to 875 here in a few days.

Not a single one of the above mentioned scopes reaches the $400 dollar mark.

Last edited:
Jedi, Since you are looking for a multi-prupose scope, I think the Buckmaster 4.5-14 would serve you well. Now you just need to pick a reticle. For hunting I like the BDC Reticle found on so many Nikon scopes. The big reason for this is it allows me to get on my target quickly when I know it's range and make an accurate shot. It will also allow you to soot long range and dial in your distance as well.
If you are using the BDC reticle, you'll need to go to Nikon's, Spot On Ballistic Program, there you can enter your scope, ammo and get corrresponding distance for your BDC circles. Thus far my longest shot using this system is 427 yards. 1 shot stop on a KS. whitetail. The site is all FREE and if you like it, you can buy it for your phone or tablet.
Over 1,000,000 users can't be wrong !

Here's a pic of a buddy's coyote from last weeks hunt in ND. He works for DPMS and chooses a Nikon scope with BDC reticle.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/marknikondpms.jpg

I think if you bought it today there is a $75 rebate on Bushnell. If you bought from Natchez or the 3200 fixed 10X from Midway W/free shipping it makes it a pretty good deal.

I enjoy using both my nikon and vortex. I do like the clarity on vortex viper a bit more. The turrets are resetable to 0. I also like the side focus as opposed the AO. They are pretty close to eachother. I prefer the vortex though.

Check out the nitrex line made by weaver. They are discontinued and Natchez has them for way cheaper. I just got my second tr-1 3-10x50 in the mail today. I've had my other one for a year with zero problems. The one I just got cost $129 plus shipping. I compared it side by side to a monarch, pro staff and a low end Leupold and think it is clearer and brighter than all of those. they have a several higher magnifications options too.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE94500#q%3Dnitrex%26npp%3D15%26cats%3D1Optics%26catl%3D2%26p%3D1

I have 2 of the vipers you have linked and ordered them from camerland and for the $279 price. For a target/varmint long range you will not be dissappointed for what you get with the price. I have run mine out in SD on p-dogs with an AR and have been very happy with the performance. Both of mine, have also tracked excellent. I usually walk around without the top cap on and dial to a dope chart I have on a flip cap. If I had the extra cash I would order another just because. I will say that the eye relief is really short but does not bother me on light recoiling rifles.

I however, do not hunt yotes with this optic as the lower power range is way too high for my likings.

I like the Bushy 3200 3-10 compact, got mine several years ago for less than 200.00. I have a couple of the 4200 series bushy's that work well also. That said I own more Leupold's than any other.

I had a vortex 6.5-18-44 on my AR loved the scope but but didn't like the field of view on lowest setting so I sold it and got the new 2.5-10x44 viper hs and i really like it on my AR when I bought my 22-250 topped it with a 4-16x44 viper hs I really like them both and are really bright at dusk.

I also have a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 and like it alot also I'm letting a friend use it on his ar and he likes it better than his nikon monarch he has on his 300wsm thinks it is clearer to him

so I like both I just prefer the vipers a hair more think both will suit you.

How about the nikon coyote spacial in the 4.5/14/40 ?? Just thought I am thinking of going that route on my savage 12 223 bolt action

How about the nikon coyote spacial in the 4.5/14/40 ?? Just thought I am thinking of going that route on my savage 12 223 bolt action

Back