What's the best 243 AR 15

Z-MAN

I'm looking at getting a Remington R-25 or an AR 15
in 243. What's the best semiauto 243 for coyote an
Deer hunting? Any advice would be awesome.

My r-25 243 shot great. It had some bad issues with the Hornady superformance ammo but the federal 55 gr shot great.

I had a dtech 243wssm. it shot quit wonderfully. I had it spun a little faster with a 1:8 twist and a 24" heavy. as soon as the funds become available I will be ordering a new one. Dtechs are great rifles. Mike really knows how to take care of his guys.

Originally Posted By: Z-MAN And what do you think about the
Remington R-25? vs a DPMS?

One has camo and one does not.
I have the R-25 in .243 Win. and have no complaints.
I`m not sure of all that is available custom built on the AR 15 platform, but you might find something that suits your needs on the smaller (lighter)frame, than the R-25.

For factory, I'd have an Armalite. For custom, a Dtech. The one Mike made for me was super accurate in 243 WSSM. I miss that upper. I hope you like it as much as I did Kerry C.

You will see a lot of advice steering you away from a 243 Win, in the larger platform, in favor of the smaller AR15 platform in 243 wssm or one of the 6.8 variants, or grendel variants. Those are all nice too, and I always believed that was the only way to get a nice handling AR in a caliber larger than 223. Until I handled a DPMS LW 308 model at a gun store, and got inspired. I decided to build what I'd wanted all along, and don't regret it a bit.

Here's what I ended up with, it weighs 9.75 lb with scope and empty mag. The barrel is a 22" BHW standard contour. The carbon fiber float tube IMO makes all the difference, it's a lot lighter and smaller in diameter than the regular 308 ff tube.

SDC10318.jpg

I've also built a 308 upper like it, and am considering a 257 Roberts.

What's so much better about the 243wssm
Then the 243? And dose weight really Make
That much difference? I do A LOT of deer
Hunting an driving. I really appreciate everybody's
Addvice.

Originally Posted By: Z-MANWhat's so much better about the 243wssm
Then the 243?

It's a short enough cartridge to clear an AR-15 mag well.

Originally Posted By: Z-MANWhat's so much better about the 243wssm
Then the 243?

Nothing! Stick with a .243 and stick with the DPMS style AR10's.

Originally Posted By: CJHGA Precision!
Is a company that builds rifles....

Originally Posted By: Z-MANThat's right I don't know much about AR's thats
Why I'm asking questions. So you don't half
To be a dick about it.

Easy there Z-Man, I didn`t see any negative remarks; only a answer to your question.

Ar10 platform in 243
Ar15 platform in 243 WSSM
Two different cats, it depends on the bullet wt. you intend to shoot and what your going to shoot with it.
Do google search on the wssm and the 243win. take note of the pros and cons, ease of reloading, barrel life. There is a wssm forum go there and look for there problem section and look at there for sale history. Do the same for the AR10 243win. You get to many pro comments because no one wants to start any thing. People like what they like and you need to research what fits you and your needs.

I'm asking questions because I dont know
That much about these calibers. He didn't
Have to call me ignorant. And then I would
of appreciated all of his advice. I'm just trying
to learn.

204 AR has pointed out that it is possible to make a relatively light .243 AR-10. That got me thinking about comparing apples to apples.

You can choose to use a short, or light or even a short and light barrel. You can also choose to use a carbon-fiber float-tube, but there are some items on both platforms that you are stuck with:

The upper receiver: The AR-10 bare upper receiver weighs 90% more than the WSSM upper receiver.

The bolt/carrier: The AR-10 bolt/carrier weighs 69% more than the WSSM bolt/carrier.

The barrel-extension; The AR-10 barrel-extension weighs almost 3 times more than the WSSM barrel-extension.

Bottom line: Built the same, the AR-10 is going to weigh considerably more than the WSSM.

The AR-10 is also more expensive to produce. I have now dropped the AR-10 from my line-up, but from my last price for an AR-10 upper, compared to my current pricing on WSSM upper, the AR-10 was 20% more expensive to produce.

All that said, there are some real up-sides to the AR-10 and the .243 Winchester. Factory and after-market ammunition is much more plentiful and with more variety by far in the .243 Winchester. With the WSSM, you are limited to what Winchester puts out, and a few after-market suppliers. One of the after-market suppliers of .243 WSSM loads offers 9 different loads using premium bullets and at an affordable price.

The .243 Winchester is also much easier to load for. The combination of the thinner brass and smaller diameter makes it much easier to re-size.

The huge selling point for me is that the AR-15 platform is already so wildly popular. Folks that got their first "black gun" just because the wanted one, can push out the two pins and in twenty seconds be big-game hunting with a WSSM upper. And in another twenty seconds be back to plinking with cheap surplus ammo.

Back