What's your favorite skinning knife?

I know people really rave about their Havalon knives, which can be found at Cabela's and a whole bunch of other places.

I use whatever I have in my pocket, which was a Kershaw Blur for the longest time until I lost it the same week as I lost my Kershaw Whirlwind.

Bob Dozier Sweetwater Guides Knife or a Dozier Semi-Skinner... The Semi-Skinner is my favorite.

Doziersemi-skinner.jpg

I've had this Case skinner sense I was 16 {now 62} I can't tell you how many Rats' Fox' and Coon I've skinned with it. I did work for fur buyers for 11 years so that put the numbers up. I stoped carrying it about 6 yrs ago after I lost my Western large folder that I bought at the same time. I still miss that knife!! I have now gone to a Buck skinner and though it's a little harder to put a edge on it works good for me.

Jim

IV008.jpg

I like my Buck Omni fixed blade. It's a great skinner and the overall design makes it work well. But I'm looking forward to testing my new RainShadow skinner.

ef4f2f98.jpg

For skinning fur I have used a Shrade Muskrat Trapper for the most time.
I like the fact that I have two blades which are the same, when one gets dull, I use the other.
Nothing fancy, but works well for me.
ShradeMuskratTrapper.jpg

Mine has the stag handles or dark bone, but basically the same.

re

I am one of those who went to Havalon Knives. I have several old knives that I have used to include Kershaw's, Gerbers, Knives of Alaska and a few custom knives but after losing a few, breaking a couple and being dumb enough to loan a couple out that never returned... I bought Havalon and never looked back. I prefer the solid handle but always carry a folder as well. I can change blades half way thru and get done a whole lot quicker. Not to mention, it does not rust if I don't get all of the blood off quickly!

I use one of the Rainshadow skinners like Pahntr760 posted. It works great so far. I also have a small Rapala 4" fillet knife I use on occasion too.
5D600833-2DBE-47BC-95B0-72325AE86589-2870-00000492A4DDEB94.jpg

Originally Posted By: Red ElkFor skinning fur I have used a Shrade Muskrat Trapper for the most time.
I like the fact that I have two blades which are the same, when one gets dull, I use the other.
Nothing fancy, but works well for me.
ShradeMuskratTrapper.jpg

Mine has the stag handles or dark bone, but basically the same.

re

Those are great skinners for fur bearers untill it comes time to clean em. Not that it's that hard, but I always forget untill they start to stink.
Mine's been retired to the pocket in my chore coat.
001-3_zps7e6e8c83.jpg

I posted these the other day, but here's my current favorites.

006-2_zpse4b165ab.jpg

For some reason I'm doing allot more skinning than I do in a normal year (a good problem
smile.gif
) but it's got me thinking about trying one of those Halvalons. I'll probably buy one before next years season starts.

Originally Posted By: GCBob Dozier Sweetwater Guides Knife or a Dozier Semi-Skinner... The Semi-Skinner is my favorite.

Doziersemi-skinner.jpg

GC,,, is that the Semi-Skinner in the pic?
If it is I can see why you like it.
I like the contour of that blade,,,,,, ALLOT!

Yes Charlie, Dozier's Semi-Skinner. Great ergonomics, just a natural in the hand and you can work with it a long time without strain or cramping your hand. I got a new Gene Ingram #4 Bird & Trout for Christmas but haven't had time to take a picture of it yet. It'll do the chore also.

Originally Posted By: GC you can work with it a long time without strain or cramping your hand.

Ha,,, I wish.
With my arthritis, my hands hurt before I even start skinning a critter. LOL

Lets see that new knife. I've yet to see a B&T pattern I didn't like.

One of these days I'd like to spend some money and get one of those customs. For now, I mainly use my havalon. Super sharp and cheap disposable blades. Works really well.

A relatively inexspensive skinning knive or knives I have used for many years and is sold by most of the Trapping Supply Houses is I beleive made by Chicago Cutlery.They have 2 skinning knives that are real similar.One has a bigger blue handle and sells for about $12 or $13 and is a little nicer because the handle is bigger and just a bit easier to hang on to.The other has a black plastic handle and is around $10.For the money they are very nice skinning knives.They have to be re sharpened pretty often when Im skinning coyotes and coons.But they re sharpen very easily for me.I have heard of a more custom type made skinning knife that is very good but costsmore than $100 per knife.I dont remember the name right now.But when i do I will post that too.

This is my latest. Dying to get in there and give it a test drive. First, the elk stag will get a fresh coat of Ren Wax......

F83FD8DD-5D75-4919-9218-A5E5B2377C39-541-0000025326BB31A9_zpsac4d6d2e.jpg

66A38E08-DFF6-4D0C-81D5-8614A06F9218-541-0000025316370C1A_zpsdcfe216a.jpg

Back