Killed 2 Wild Pigs tonight.

sumrifle

Well I killed two Wild Pigs on Sunday around 5:30 pm. About 12-15 came in and I shot a big Sow she went down hard did not take a step. The others ran off so I went after them on foot. Over one hill then another. I found another Sow and shot her. Now I was a half mile from my truck and had a rifle and shooting sticks with me. I was dragging a 100-110 lb pig up hill with one hand. Went a quarter mile and left her there. Walked back to the truck and got rid of the rifle and stix. Drank a bottle of water and drove to the first pig I shot and loaded her in the truck. Drove as close as I could to the second pig but still a quarter mile away. Dragged it to the dirt road then loaded her up. It was getting dark and I was tired. Gutted and skinned the two pigs in about 2 hours in the bed of my truck. I think I did a pretty good job. Got them home and rinsed the blood and stuff off with a hose. It was pretty cool in the mountains and when I was done the meat was cold. At home after the rinse with cold water same thing nice and cold. They drip dried for an hour and I put game bags on them. Bright and early it is off to the meat market. I have still never cut one up myself. I know I could do it but I am waiting for a 50 pounder I guess. It was a good day. I was only waiting about 45 minutes when the pigs came in. Only took a few pics and will post them later.

Oh and I was using my Remington 700 6mm that I am taking to Wyoming in a couple weeks. I had not shot it in about 3 years. It is still good to go with my hand loaded 85 grain Barnes TSX.

that sounds like a great hunt, but you have got to learn my quick cleaning method for sure. All that work takes the fun out of it! It's locked in on the big game forum page.

Congrats

Stuff039.jpg

Stuff043.jpg

Stuff042.jpg

No excuses but I was tired and had poor lighting. Plus I have not gutted and skinned all that many Deer and Pigs lifetime. Been hunting a long time but not real successful....

Glen is right. I've been using his method for several years, ever since he posted it on another forum and it is MUCH easier and faster. I can butcher a hog by myself and have all the meat off the bone and in the cooler in 45 minutes.

Another upside to Glen's method is you don't cut off the head so I drag the carcass with my 4 wheeler a little over one hundred yards away where I have a 5 foot long steel rod driven into the ground with a hole drilled through the top, with rope attached. I tie the rope around the hogs head and wait for the coyotes to come.

Last edited:
Stuff038-1.jpg
Had never recovered a Barnes TSX before.

Stuff034.jpg
It had meat and blood on it but I was glad to find it.

Like me these things clean up pretty well....
Stuff042-1.jpg

Stuff040-1.jpg

Stuff044.jpg

Frustrated right now. Took both pigs to a butcher I have been very happy with through the years. They have processed a pig and several Deer for me and my daughter as well as done pigs and deer for friends. I took them in 13 days ago. They may not be ready before I leave for Wyoming on Wednesday morning at 0500. Basically they have Monday and Tuesday to get them done. I can not imagine it taking over 2 weeks to do them. They were loaded up pretty good with Fair animals when I brought them in but come on.... I will hopefully have 2 Deer to put in the Freezer upon my return from Wyoming.

If they don't have them done in two weeks, that means they have been hanging just like that for 2 weeks.

One reason I process my own meat.

I want to start doing my own but really am not set up to do it. I think if I shoot a small pig I will do it and then from there start doing my own but I admit I am a little worried I would save a bunch of money.

How long can they hang and be OK? I like the idea of them hanging Deer and Pigs a few days to a week but not sure much after that.

I'm looking for a place to hunt wild hogs on private land, somewhere in TN, NC, SC, AL and GA. Can anybody help me out? Cheers, Ottway

Back