Bolt action 6 groups, 5 shot challenge

And here goes our first rebarrel canidate.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SmokelessOh great! Now you are going to cause a reloading supply shortage with this little contest.
cursing.gif

Guys will run 300 rounds just to compete, times that by 40,000, we are going to have a problem.
scared.gif

This is inter-web Benchrest! Don't press the muzzle against the paper, we will see that.

That may be true but the fact is how many have actually shot for this shootout? We have already heard some of the reasons why the won't shoot and I have a feeling there is still another 39,950 reason we haven't heard yet. I would be shocked if there will be 100 people that actually post up targets.

Ok bolt guys you better pick it up the AR's are now ahead of you!!

I plan to add to both here within the weeks end. This time I swear they won't be epic fails!
lol.gif

DM I plan on getting in on this. I usually have 50 of my reloads on hand and the range is less than a mile away. I have shot 5 5 shot groups before and I think I can average .5 with 6. I probably won't get best group as this is my best so far.

2012-08-03_12-29-35_647.jpg

Quote:That may be true but the fact is how many have actually shot for this shootout? If memory serves, the same shootout was conducted on this forum a couple of years ago? Could be there are forum members that just don't feel compelled to do it all over again?

got back out to shoot my money away again this morning.

Tikka t3 varmint
vortex viper 6.5-20
69 nosler hpbt
again with the .711 avg. ...what are the odds of that?
confused.gif

9-29range7-1.jpg

9-29range4.jpg

9-29range6.jpg

shot some 55 vmax too but they were opened up a bit more.

same rifle
avg. .8366666666
9-29range2.jpg

9-29range3.jpg

Well here is my shot at this. It really shows what you got. The gun is 220 swift rem 700 vssf2 with 50g v-max in front of IMR 4064...

I had one bad group but I am pretty happy with the results.

1=.477
2=.827
3=.927
4=1.203 sucked
5=.76
6=.831

Avg.=.837
best group 1st one.=.477

I think if I give more cooling time I could tighten these up a little. All were shot 5 shots in a row then cool for a few...Jason

100_2088.jpg

100_2087.jpg

100_2086.jpg

20120930123553.jpg

20120930123349.jpg

0930120954-00.jpg

Originally Posted By: bushy
again with the .711 avg. ...what are the odds of that?
confused.gif

That tells me clearly if you miss it your fault not the rifles!!
lol.gif

Glad to see your still out wasting your money by still shooting in this. Your first target still has the smallest group and since your avg didn't change your last 2 targets didn't move you up nor did they hurt you only further prove YOUR skills with the rifle! Your still in 3rd as of now and only the second person to be on the 1MOA list. Keep it up well unless you go broke!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: smith1559Well here is my shot at this. It really shows what you got. The gun is 220 swift rem 700 vssf2 with 50g v-max in front of IMR 4064...

1=.477
2=.827
3=.927
4=1.203 sucked
5=.76
6=.831

Avg.=.837
best group 1st one.=.477

I think if I give more cooling time I could tighten these up a little. All were shot 5 shots in a row then cool for a few...Jason

Yes I'm sure if you slow down you will get those numbers down a bit. To bad that 4th group opened up on you as it would have got you on the MOA list! So get that number down and get back out there! Nice shooting you got some nice grouping there and then it seems to open up?
thumbup.gif

I loved that target but had to stop shooting groups with it as I always found myself trying to line the ret. up with the targets.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17What was your cooling time?

Maybe about 5 minutes or so. I was shooting other stuff while I was waiting. I need to get a full day to shoot. But most of the time the kids and wife won't allow it... Got to get shooting in when I can.. When it gets colder out it will be a little easier... I do say that shooting this is not that easy... But it is a fun challenge....Jason

Last edited:
Just found this thread.
Neat idea.
I have never done this before, but a couple of years ago I used two different Specialty Handguns (15" MOA Maximum chambered in 6x47 Lapua/107 MatchKing and a 18" XP-100 chambered in 6.5-284/140 Berger) at 500 and 750 yards in a match and averaged right at 3/4 MOA with two SP's. Each pistol shot four 5-shot groups at each distance. So, a total of sixteen 5-shot groups. Bad thing is I don't remember the exact group sizes. I am sure I went over 1 MOA a few times.

Wow looks like fun. Also looks like we have some real hard holders here on the board.

I wish I had taken more time to do load development prior to this day.

Maybe I shall have to attempt this with a 22! I think I have some Aguila Match ammo in the garage... doubt that I can shoot it that well, however!

Finally got to the Busch Wildlife Conservation Range today to finish up my shooting...Friday was my Rem 700 .223 and today was my CZ 527 .204, as well as my DPMS AR..
Shooting Friday sucked...Could have been shooting a shotgun..
DPMSatRange.jpg

700OverallGroups.jpg

Average for six groups was 1.304",,with the smallest group being .984"
700SmallestGroupa.jpg

The shooting with the CZ today was slightly better with an aggregate of 4.152" and an average of 0.692"
CZ527Total.jpg

My smallest group with that rifle was 0.330"
204SmallGroupJPG.jpg

Originally Posted By: smith1559Well here is my shot at this. It really shows what you got. The gun is 220 swift rem 700 vssf2 with 50g v-max in front of IMR 4064...

1=.477
2=.827
3=.927
4=1.203 sucked
5=.76
6=.831

Avg.=.837
best group 1st one.=.477

[

Just a fine point, but if you will subtract .224 instead of .223 for bullet diameter you will tighten up those groups by .001 just for measurement.
wink.gif

Might make a difference some day, you never know. Have fun out there.

Glad to see some more guys posting. Hope to see several others...

I haven’t had a chance to do make a run with another rifle but… A buddy & I were talking about it the other day & he said he wanted to try it with his “hunting” gun also. He doesn’t post on here (not even sure if he is a member, but posts on 6BR.com under “hammerjack”). He shot this yesterday evening & sent me pics this morning. Thought I would post it for him & maybe get another 6BR on the list.

Rifle:
Savage M12 target action, Broughton barrel with over 6000 rounds on it (used to be on a bench gun but he turned contour down himself for a hunting weight, & has been set back twice), he also made the stock (it’s painted wood). It’s chambered in 6BR, shooting 105Amax, topped with Lupy VX7 with the HEAVY crosshairs.

Joerifle.jpg

Target:
He wrote things down a little different but groups are
.371”
.627”
.691”
.398”
.249”
-----
.466” average
Joetarget.jpg

Zoom:
Joezoom.jpg

Rifle was shot off a bench with front bi-pod & rear owl-ear bag. Not sure of the exact load but I’m pretty sure it was with Varget.

Also for those that think 6-5shot groups are a lot. This is a load development target hammerjack had laying around. There are 41 diferent (5-shot or more) groups on the target plus some “sight-in’s (bottom rt X). I know this won’t count towards the scoring talley but thought it was worth posting. Some of the groups are pretty good, & he took the time to measure all of them for the pic (subtract .243" from #). This was shot with a different gun (bet you can guess the chambering) but still off bi-pods.

Joebunch.jpg

Back