An Interesting Morning Yesterday.

ADK

It's been years since I went hunting just for gray squirrels. Yesterday,I got the urge to go,so I grabbed the .22 and headed out. I was still hunting in wet leaves(full camo)and walked to within maybe 40 yards of a pair of coyotes mousing. They spotted me and took off. I went a little farther up the ridge and stopped by a large white pine to catch my breath. I saw something moving thru the thick saplings;it was a big Tom with about a 10 inch beard. He walked right to within maybe 30 yards of me and out of sight. I continued on up the ridge and near the top sat down with my back to a tree. Good spot I thought,with all these acorns. Maybe 10 minutes went by and I heard something heavy behind me and down the ridge. I knew it wasn't the squirrels or anything small but it didn't sound like a deer either. I very slowly stood up and turned around. To my surprize,there stood a bear turning a log over. WOW!
I just gotta go squirrel hunting more often!
By the way,the turkey season and coyote season is not open yet. Bear season opened last week but I was squirrel hunting. No,I didn't see any squirrels.
crazy.gif

I have never hunted the Moose River/Indian Lake region so I can't help you. If you are hunting the Long Lake,Tupper Lake or Newcomb areas I could give you some tips on where to hunt. Early bear season in the dack's is tough. Baiting is not legal in New York and it's big and rugged country. My best advice is to locate the mast crops,beech and cherry mostly,and spend your time hunting those areas. If you know of any old orchards,and there are apples,that should be a good area to hunt. Pre-season scouting helps to find the choice areas. Good luck.

Bow season opens in a week. When im out for squirrels i always have the bow for times like yours today! Ive hunted the moose river plains. Best bet is talk to the local dec officer and ask about bear sightings! Oh and bring a predator call. Fawn in distress works well as does jack in distress. Ive called bears in there before. Its fun but you may make 30 stands with one call in but nice thing is there is miles and miles of roads to drive and river to paddle! My prefered method is paddle canoe with fox pro in bow and make a stop to call out of canoe every 1/2 mile or so. I also heard acorn in distress works great this time of year! LOL

Sitting here, Im thinking I would have [beeep] myself lol. What happened after you noticed it was a bear. Finish the story!

(If you did [beeep] yourself, I would fully understand you not adding that in lol)

I didn't [beep] myself but I was thinking I should have brought the .357 mag.. I've spent a great deal of time camping,hiking,canoeing,etc. in black bear country and I've seen alot of bears but have never had a single confrontation. I just don't fret about the bears like some folks do. BUT,next time I take the .22 out I think I'll strap on the revolver.
grin.gif

Back