beagle question

bamayote23

Hey everyone

I am interested in getting a beagle puppy to train to run rabbits with but i have a couple questions as this will be my first one. Is there a particular bloodline to look for or one that stands out? i am sure the different bloodlines all hunt a little different. I have a uncle who runs rabbits and has for years so i will be able to work with him. Any advice on picking out the right one would be really helpful.
Thanks everyone

First of all beagle puppies are about the cutest things going. I had a mid size pure bread beagle AKC the whole 9 yards. He was a great rabbit dog, I had him for 16 years. Great pets great with kids. But a little tough to leave them un supervised. They tend to roam where the nose tells them. Having the pup work with other established hunting beagles. Is a plus. They will however pick up the other dogs bad habits. So make sure he's running with a well trained rabbit hound. Good luck it's a lot of fun. Miss by beagle.

Mark2

Genetics is a big part. Just because a hound is "papered" doesn't mean he will be a great hunter. Try to find a pup whose parents are known to be good hunters or come from a good bloodline.
Once you get a pup time afield is key. Take it out as much as you can and put him on as many rabbits as possible. Don't run him with older hounds right off the bat. We usually have pups broke around 6-8 months.
Box trap a cottontail and tie a string (about 24") to it's leg. On the other end tie a wooden dowel/stick. Release the cottontail in a brushy field with the pup watching. The rabbit will only go so far before the stick gets hung up. Let the pup chase him a few times by sight. Then release the rabbit without the pup seeing what direction the rabbit went, forcing him to use his nose to locate the rabbit. You can do this a few times then release the rabbit none the worse for wear.
If your uncle runs hounds ask him if he is planning on having any litters coming up. Nothing like listening to a pack of beagles running a cottontail!
chet004-6.jpg

You gotta love a beagle. Do not over feed them or give them table scraps I've got a 46pounder he sure is a happy guy and loves to snuggle under the blankets in the morning ha ha ha

Go to a few field trials as a spectator, see which guy has the style of beagle that you'd like to have and talk to them about getting a pup. Different guys all like different style dogs so chasing what anyone recommends for a bloodline isn't likely to give you exactly what you're wanting. If there is a beagle club close by it might be worth going over there and talking to folks, joining the club would be a good idea as well....you'll learn a lot from other folks that are into the sport and they also are generally quick to help if somebody wants it.

Originally Posted By: beagler Nothing like listening to a pack of beagles running a cottontail!

There's something better....listening to a pack of fast dogs running a hare
lol.gif

The reward
DSCF0247.jpg

The run that got the hare
HUNTINGTRIP122209.jpg

Back