What's your broadhead of choice?

I use to shoot rage. I couldn't believe how dull the blades were brand new. They cut a big hole but I didn't find them sharp at all. I switched to grim reapers much sharper fly like a field point cut a big hole also.

I started way back in the early 70's and was shooting traditionally and was using the bear with the bleeder blade....good broadhead....then when I switched to a compound bow I used wasps....sharp....but not alot of blood trail. I switched to 100g thunderheads and have had excellant results nationwide w/ alot of different species. Then came the Rage commercials...and I bought into them....used the 3 blade for 1 season....shot 4 different animals (including 1 beneath my stand) and never got a pass thru and never found the animals. Switched back to the Thunderheads and couldn't be happier.....[beeep] marketing schemes...lol

Originally Posted By: seaj Then came the Rage commercials...and I bought into them....used the 3 blade for 1 season....shot 4 different animals (including 1 beneath my stand) and never got a pass thru and never found the animals. Switched back to the Thunderheads and couldn't be happier.....[beeep] marketing schemes...lol

Sounds like you need to pick your shoots better or practice more. Unless I hit soild spine, I only get pass throughs with 3 blade Rage. Heck my wife just about always gets a exit hole,she shoots 50#s.

G 5 montec for me. They always need sharpened out of the box though. I use the cs version.

I am not a huge bow hunter, I have only killed six or so deer with them. Lousy blood trails, but the deer have always dropped within sight, so I guess blood trails don't mean much then.

3 blade Rage for me. I've had nothing but good clean kills with them, and they truly do fly like a field point. When I moved up to a very fast shooting set up, I could no longer find a fixed blade that would shoot worth a darn. Otherwise I probably would have stuck with 100gr. Muzzy's, which is a darn good broadhead as well.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: seaj Then came the Rage commercials...and I bought into them....used the 3 blade for 1 season....shot 4 different animals (including 1 beneath my stand) and never got a pass thru and never found the animals. Switched back to the Thunderheads and couldn't be happier.....[beeep] marketing schemes...lol

Sounds like you need to pick your shoots better or practice more. Unless I hit soild spine, I only get pass throughs with 3 blade Rage. Heck my wife just about always gets a exit hole,she shoots 50#s.

I'm not completley sure, but I think that the first Rage's to roll out had a lot of problems. Seems like most of the early adopters had nothing but problems. I only started using them a couple years after they hit the market, and could not be happier.

I bought a pack of rage crossbow heads. Sighted my crossbow in off of a bench and shot half inch groups at 20 yds with the included practice head. Shot better than field points. Tried an actual cutting head and it shot 8 inches to the upper right. Shot the cutting head three times, 2 inch group, 8 inches to the upper right. Scope went bad I figured.

Put the practice head back on, and it went right back to bullseye. Tried the remaining cutting heads, and they flew perfectly. Must have been a fluke bad head, but I lost my faith and returned them.

Last 6 bull elk, one cow and one calf with Grim Reapers. Nasty little broadhead. Never had one fail. Thinking strongly about trying the Swhacker 100 Grain 2" on elk this year. Tried testing Rages and found they deflect about 90% of the time on plywood 60 degrees or greater. Dont trust a broadhead that deflects on quartering shots since that is the shot of choice.

I'm old school. 3 blade cut on contact for me. Montec CS 100 grain. Switched to the CS from regular montecs when they came out. Much easier to sharpen.

Zwickey Black Diamonds, also have Eskimos but have never killed a deer with one. Have some of the single-bevel Deltas but haven't used them yet, either. No failures with the Black Diamonds, they work.

Back