Where can I get .17 Rem. Fireball Brass

d2admin

Administrator
Seems like everybody is out and Remington only pushes it out once a year. I have a couple hundred loaded pieces of brass but can see me shooting this caliber the rest of my days and would like to stock up.

Originally Posted By: 17FireballSeems like everybody is out and Remington only pushes it out once a year. I have a couple hundred loaded pieces of brass but can see me shooting this caliber the rest of my days and would like to stock up.

Hopefully, the rest of your days will encompass at least one more year - and you can stock up then -meanwhile, save your money for that miraculous day
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

17fireball, You aren't the only one wondering about 17FB brass. I keep hearing rumors that Remington is dropping that caliber, & won't be making any brass. Does anybody know for sure if there's any truth to that. Very discouraging that 'Big Green' comes out with something good, then a few years later, drops it like a "Hot Rock"! I'm looking for 17FB brass myself, Any ideas out there?????
Idaho-45-5R

Originally Posted By: Idaho-45-5R17fireball, You aren't the only one wondering about 17FB brass. I keep hearing rumors that Remington is dropping that caliber, & won't be making any brass. Does anybody know for sure if there's any truth to that. Very discouraging that 'Big Green' comes out with something good, then a few years later, drops it like a "Hot Rock"! I'm looking for 17FB brass myself, Any ideas out there?????
Idaho-45-5R

Even if they discontinue the cartridge (which it appears that they have almost done), the brass will be around for a long time - the 222 Magnum was discontinued about 50 years ago, but Remington still make a run of cases every year.

So, don't worry, be happy.

17 FB can be made from 221 FB or 223 Rem brass, so we will always have a source. handloaders have been making 17 Mach 4 brass from 233 for 40 years.

Originally Posted By: 17FireballI don't understand how to convert brass.

If you are starting with .223, you must run the cases through a 221 FL die, and then cut the tops off of them. If you are starting with a 221 case, just run them through form dies.

But you don't have to learn this stuff this year, you will be able to get 17 FireBall brass for many years.

I looked at a contender 10 inch octagon barrel today that I almost bought. I think I may go back tomorrow and get it. I wasn't sure about the availability of brass either. Never thought of forming it from .223 because I thought you had to have expensive forming dies. How about neck thickness? Does it need to be turned?

Back