Northern Calif hunting??

Rukus

I haven't read to many post about the Northern Calif area. I am smack dab in the middle of the Sierra Mountians and am looking for a local group to get aquainted with. Anyone know of a predator/varmit group in this area?
Rukus

Rukus -
I'm in Sacramento. Love to shoot, would love to hunt if I was any good. Probably should just call it exploring the outdoors while armed.

Shoot me an email.
steve

I've heard hunting in California can cause cancer and birth defects? LOL

I hear the girls are warm up there. Seriously there should be a good mix of game up there. Good luck.

I'm 30 min from Sacramento and would like to meet other predator/varmint hunters in the area. I used to hunt coyote in college and I just moved out here. Anybody want to help me find areas to hunt? Anybody have suggestions on how to approach ranchers/farmers to ask permission?

Hey RUKUS
I have a friend that is a hunting fool. If there is something around to shoot at, he'll know about it. He used to live in Portola, Cal. which is in Plumas Cal. He might be in the phone book. Tell him the Locksmith told you to call. (he won't know me by Safecracker.) His name is Bob Walker. They called him "Boulder Bob", ot the "Wood Butcher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Another NorCal here, howdie all from Gods country, (run by abunch of clowns), Heck ya, lets get somthin going out here, Most of my local spots are on private ground either family, or old, long relationships.But there are plenty of farmers up north, and public land around here.I would love to get a road trip or somthing like that going out of state, as much as i hate to admit it, its just easier to hunt varmints out of state, and there are no pdogs here, I have tried rock chucks in the high country, but the granola heads make me nervous.
Dove season in two weeks, then deer a month after that.

I'm in Fairfield. There are some coyote around here. I live out of town and there are lots of vinyards and ranches around. We see and hear coyote now and then and jack rabbits as well but ground squirrels/prarie dogs are rare. I've heard that the Lodi area has good p-dog and coyote hunting.

Mt Diablo State Park supports more than it's share of ground squirrels. Every time I go up the North Gate entrance I'm ammazed! Also Briones Regional Park in Pleasant Hill/Martinez supports a ton of them especially the Reliez Valley Road entrance. There must be local ranches surrounding those areas that have spillover from those breeding grounds...

The question is... how do you scout private land for good hunting areas and how do you get permission to shoot? And how do you double-check the local laws etc?

I'm willing to share any info I get and would be interested in getting together sometime.

Joe,

I called you last night and left a message. I may go and hit the cattle ranch next weekend if we don't go camping, I got you on if you want to go. I know you had plans but with this weather who knows? Call me tonight around 6 if you can. Or call anytime on my cell.

Steve

Hey guys, I also live in Nor. Ca. I'm in the processes of buying a 22-250 and a 10-22. Once I get those I will be looking to do a little Varmint hunting. I would like to do it now but I only have a 7mm and shooting that could get real expencive. But anyways I will have both of those guns in a couple of weeks so shoot me a line. Maybe we could all get together for something??

22-250, I live just north of you guys. At Beale AFB. I know a couple of places to go for yotes around my house and a few place for sage rats in Or. but nothing else and I new to varmint hunting so bare with me please.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
curtis

Sorry to say, Prairie dogs do not exist anywhere in California unless someone has one as a pet. We do however, have tons of Ground Squirrels. If any of you care to keep ragging on California hunters, please take note. Some of the Worlds best hunters come from California. Matter of fact, the sport you love so much "Predator calling" Californians had a lot to do with it in its early beginnings and no dought some of the countrys best predator callers are Califorians.

hi guys i live way up northern california. right on the border of oregon. in town called dorris. if you are looking for places to hunt. aske permission for access to hunt large cattle and sheep ranches. youll be amazed.tell them you are looking for places to call. invite the property oner along.and youll end up hunting there pretty much most of the. i did just that and hunt two of the largest ranches here. good luck randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Coyotehunter,

Rukus, Suavagato, and I (22-250 VT) are doing just that. We (mostly I right now) have permission to hunt a 600-acre cattle ranch chuck full of Yotes and the landowner is telling his friends about us.

With any luck we’ll have exclusive rights to most of the Yuba City, Marysville, and Lincoln area cattle ranches soon.

Rukus is working hard to get a club together. I know you are a ways out but if we ever get big shoots together you may want to join us (?).

Keep in touch,

Steve

Back