Tips to get different bullets to shoot in the same place.

d2admin

Administrator
I am loading for a Savage 16 in .243 caliber. I've had the gun a couple years and finally settled on how I want to use it and what I want to use in it.

Deer: 95 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (out to 100 yards)
Groundhog & Coyote: 65 Grain Hornady VMAX and Varget (out to 500 yards).

It is more important to me to have the 65 grainers spot on with accuracy. I want to get the 95 grainers close enough so I do not have to change the scope settings. How do I go about this other than trial and error with different load recipies? Tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You are either going to have to do a scope adjustment or figure how far you are going to have to aim off target. I would suggest getting a load that is accurate with each one and having to adjust your scope. Velocities are going to be just too different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 17FireballI am loading for a Savage 16 in .243 caliber. I've had the gun a couple years and finally settled on how I want to use it and what I want to use in it.

It is more important to me to have the 65 grainers spot on with accuracy. I want to get the 95 grainers close enough so I do not have to change the scope settings. How do I go about this other than trial and error with different load recipies? Tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

lol.gif
lol.gif

About like trying to get your girlfriend to cook like your ex-wife. Don't matter how you approach it, it won't be the same.

Originally Posted By: travjcAbout like trying to get your girlfriend to cook like your ex-wife. Don't matter how you approach it, it won't be the same.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 17FireballI am loading for a Savage 16 in .243 caliber. I've had the gun a couple years and finally settled on how I want to use it and what I want to use in it.

Don't waste your time - you can't do it.

It either happens or it doesn't. You can't make it happen. The best thing to do is sight it in perfectly with the light load and then shoot the 100 grain load. Calculate the difference in POI and write it on a card. Then you know how many clicks to move it. Laminate the card and tape it to the gun or scope for future reference.

ive counted the clicks when adjusting scope for differant bullets.
but u gotta wright them down so you know or you will forget them.
that gets u back into ballpark,but should still shoot it before hunting.
now i just have 2 differant scopes,1 for long rang,and 1 for calling,i leave rings on a change at the base.but really still should shot it when changing,before hunting.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanThe best solution is to buy two different rifles, one for each bullet weight...that is what I do.

+1

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxIt either happens or it doesn't. You can't make it happen. The best thing to do is sight it in perfectly with the light load and then shoot the 100 grain load. Calculate the difference in POI and write it on a card. Then you know how many clicks to move it. Laminate the card and tape it to the gun or scope for future reference.

Sounds like my best option. Thank you.

Sight in to your 65 grain load and Get closer to your targets for 95 grain load and do not worry about it.. You are going to shoot deer right? 14 inch kill zone. I would bet you will hit well with in that area at 100 yards.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: travjcAbout like trying to get your girlfriend to cook like your ex-wife. Don't matter how you approach it, it won't be the same.

Already got two ex's

You might try and close the gap a little and pick a bullet that falls between 95gr. and 65gr. and maybe find two different styles in the same weight that perform closer together. I ran the 87VLD Berger and 87 V-max on targets out to 485yds and was minute of milk jug with both using the same holds. The Bergers were a little tough for my groundhog hunting, but the V-maxes do very well. If I get lucky enough to get a call for some crop damage work, I'd shoot a deer with the 87 Berger in a heartbeat. There are lots of good offerings in 6mm in the 80-87gr. range that would be sufficient to take the game you mention, just make sure you shoot both and verify your dope both near and far for those loads. Chances are they still won't shoot indentical, but you have a better chance of getting them closer together. I'd look at the 80NBT, 80-85 Sierra Blitz and GK's, 87VLD, 87Vmax, 95SST, 95NBT, etc...

Hey Shanedog...that might be an idea but I'm thinking the 95 will destroy the yote pelts and it would be so rare around here to bag one that I'd like to get something done with it too. Plus 100 bullet tips in the ballistic tips are $33.00.

I made about 300 95 grain VLD's after watching the Berger video on how great they are and I would never shoot one at a deer again...even the groundhogs bleed their way back to their holes from em. Gotta just shoot em off I guess to get the brass. Had great luck with 17 grain Bergers in the target match but the 6mm vlds get two thumbs down as a hunting bullet from me.

My range/chrony testing with the 65g vmax /95g nosler HBT/85g nosler partition & 85 g sierra GKHP bullets.
Both the 85s/85p & 95 hbt loads print to the same POI out to 400 yds.
The 65g vmax load shoots 1" right & 1" high @ 100 with my scope set for the 85/95 gr loads.
The 85g loads at 3212 fps. 95g at 3100 fps. 65vmax at 3378 fps.
My 58g vmax load prints 2.5" high @ 3887 fps w/scope set for 85/95g loads & is dead on for 300 yds.
Savage M11, 22" sporter bbl. on bipod w/rear bag.

Originally Posted By: 17Fireball I made about 300 95 grain VLD's after watching the Berger video on how great they are and I would never shoot one at a deer again...even the groundhogs bleed their way back to their holes from em. Gotta just shoot em off I guess to get the brass.

Pull 'em! Save the powder to reuse & sell the bullets on the classifieds. You will at least recoup some of your investment this way. Just my opinion.
wink.gif

Back