Not in my back yard

SavTxCajun

I just shot a raccoon off the back fence. He was able to keep it together to get over the fence and got away but I know it's a death shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It was 7:30Pm and not dark, makes me wonder if he may have had rabies? I'll check outside tomorrow and see if I might find him. My shot was just behind the right shoulder so I know it was good.

Patty came in and said, "Dear there's a raccoon by the back door." She saw it pass her window of the familyroom and it was going for the empty Coors Sliver Bullet can I finished after getting home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Sorry guys but I couldn't let this pass.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
It had been around before raiding the bird seed and suite we put out for the birds. Broke stuff off the back fence too in the past few days. :rolleyes:
For it to do this means it was bold eough in daylight to be behind a bush the Misses may get too close to.
See Ya, Good Hunt'n

Ah Raccoons... Many times growing up I've been awakened by the stiff sound of the old mans 16 gauge...and laughing... He'd shoot them off of the garbage can right out of his bedroom window... It is pretty funny thinking back, to all of the late night high fives and laughs because of Raccoons... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I grew up in Burbank. We lived in the equestrian side of town. A few friends and I would make midnight patrols through my neighbor hood looking for raccoons and opossums. Being that we lived in the city we had to use alternative methods. A 25” Louisville T-Ball bat became my weapon of chose. Finding them near trashcans and cat food bowls. I have since found a nice little 5acre place 10 miles out of town. Where a nighttime rodent shooting will not result in a visit from Johnny. My dad tells me that the night raiders had come back after I moved out on my own. I don’t know how well kids would do know walking around a night with bats. It would most likely result in phone calls to their parents.

Darrin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've got the same problem, and plan on solving it the same way. Of course, I also have to contend with "free range" cats and dogs. I was pretty tolerant, but I am now fed up and it's time to thin out the population. I have modified my garbage cans so the lids are held down by bungee cord. I only hope the next critter that knocks them over wakes me up trying to get the lid off.

With that said, I live outside any "incorporated" area and none of the surrounding towns will help out. The county sherrif can't do anything, and people dump their unwanted animals out in my area. If I ever catch someone, I think I'll take them to the national forest, have them strip naked, and leave them to make do for themselves. I hope the first yard they go into someone shoots them in the a$$ with a pellet gun! As you can see, this is a pet issue with me.

Bill B.

I've got a idea, from the local hardware store see if they have a remote doorbell. Attach the plunger (the part pushed to activate the bell) to a thin board. Put the board under the matt in front of the cans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The bell goes next to your bed. get the picture? :rolleyes: It's a passive booby trap.

It works. :eek:

Bill B,

I had similar problems out here where I live for a while with a pack of dogs that were roaming the countryside. One day my girls came inside and said that one of those dogs was growling at them.I grabbed my pistol and went out and "rectified" that problem immediatly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After that I decided it was time to thin them out. Found a couple of good ambush spots to get in when it got dark. It's amazing what a small caliber rifle, a coonlight and a little patience can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back