wyoming prairie dogs

GoBlue

I will be near Rawlins, Wy this fall. I'm not looking for anyone's hotspots, just some possible general info. I have heard the area was hit with the plague a few years ago. Any truth to that? Feel free to pm me if you are more comfortable. Thank you.

My experiences with WY prairie dogs in the Douglas area last year was an eye opener.

Most people that have their honey holes are not going to come off of them- which I totally understand.

There are guided services but they were expensive and we opted to not use them.

We pretty much ended up driving around and using word of mouth from the coffee drinkers at the gas stations. We ended up getting on two good properties for a small trespass fee for each property. We got on to the land for $75 per shooter. For me, it was well worth the money. Kind of like a carnival ride that doesn't stop until you are ready for it to stop. More dogs out there than I had had ammo for, LOL.

One thing I discovered in finding dog towns is google earth. They show up quite nice when you zoom in. Kind of a pain to zoom in and out costantly but it was worth it. Find the towns, figure out who owns it, then call them to see if they are still active and if they will let you hunt them. Good Luck and happy shooting.

Thanks for the tips. What do I look for on google earth? I tried checking it out. I found a nice sized town the last time I was in wyoming but it's a long way from where I'll be this time.

Originally Posted By: GoBlueThanks for the tips. What do I look for on google earth? I tried checking it out. I found a nice sized town the last time I was in wyoming but it's a long way from where I'll be this time.

Look for land that looks like it has tan acne. When you see it, you will instantly know it.

Quote:Look for land that looks like it has tan acne. When you see it, you will instantly know it.

Bingo. When you zoom in and if it in fact has a colony on it, there will be no second guessing it. Looks like an artillery range.

The images can be fairly old, we wasted a trip to Newcastle because of that. Former massive towns were almost non existant.

Check the date of the image in the lower left hand corner.

HM

Just got back from Wyoming. 2 of my leads were empty towns but 1 had a few 100 dogs to shoot. It was a lot of fun though. Thanks to everyone for there help.

I've hunted P-dogs in south west Wyoming now for almost 30 years. We couldn't make it up earlier in May or June so we postponed till August. Hundred miles up and a hundred miles back. 400 miles of oil well roads and dust. Camped out for 3 days. Looked very hard. We found 3 shootable dogs !!!! Not areas, I'm talking actual dogs !!!! Spoke to dump truck driver and it has been the worst drought since the dust bowl days. I didn't even take a rifle out of the case. Sad deal. Sadder news is it may be years before they make a comback.

Back