Frenchy knives.........MORE NEW PICS

2muchgun

Don't worry, I'm not "switching teams", but in about an hour one of these should arrive at my door:

http://www.opinel-usa.com/products.asp?cat=Opinel+Carbon+Knives

Other than women and fries, nothing french has ever appealed to me very much. But these look kinda cool and I've thought of buying one for about 20 yrs. now.

I went with a #8. High carbon steel blade, good size, and seems a perfect candidate to customize. That is why I bought it. To "play" with. I will surely etch the blade, and who knows what else.

Apparently customizing them is a popular thing. I first saw their website a few minutes ago, and they have a lot of custom options available.

I only paid $12.95 shipped for it, so I figure I can't go wrong.......

I have the #7 i think. I like it but the blade is pretty thin and overall not a rugged knife esp in the hinge area.

Photo188.jpg

I like the handle and the blade lock is unique but not the safest. The turning ring tends to move on mine. i don't think this knife will make you jump ship......not all is lost....they make a great letter opener
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

Other than women and fries, nothing french has ever appealed to me very much.

Hey, isn't chewing gum a french invention? That's pretty good.
tt2.gif
And I just can't dig a woman with more pit hair than me
sick.gif

Little bit of trivia, there are couple of things that are generally associated with certain cultures that actually have nothing to do with said culture. Like ice cream, I believe is chinese and fortune cookies are actually italian. Think I got that right.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: RePeteThe Granola crowd likes em from what I hear.
What's next, Birkenstocks?
grin.gif

lol.gif

They French have to make their knives cheaply, because when they drop them in the field running away from a fight, they have to be able to replace them
smile.gif

This is one of the older Opinel knives (#7) that I keep in my shaving kit for those times when I'm on the road and someone forgets to include one with a 'to go' order..Or sticks in a plastic one and I'm taking a steak back to my room...

In France, they are considered a "Peasant's" knife and are really inexpensive to buy...I think this one originally sold for $1 and the last I saw on the internet, they could be had for under $3...

Not sure about the newer ones, but the blade on this one can be used as a makeshift razor...Carries an excellent edge..

OpinelKnife.jpg

Originally Posted By: RePeteThe Granola crowd likes em from what I hear.
What's next, Birkenstocks?
grin.gif

I knew I'd be hearin' it from the likes of you
lol.gif

I am also happy to say that I do not know what Birkenstocks are
laugh.gif

I actually like this thing. 1/8" thick blade. Locks up tight with no play. High carbon and wicked sharp. It ain't nuttin' to right home about, but for $12, it ain't half bad.

It must be REAL high carbon, cuz it takes a patina faster than any steel I've ever seen.

Shiny new......

0FC3BCCC-8669-4B80-A1D9-0B2A98674F60-104-000000D246FBC666.jpg

2-3 minutes in the secret sauce......

AE3E7274-064C-4A56-9588-29D75205093E-104-000000D26519D8F7.jpg

946E8E11-8CF8-450F-9FB8-D43CE6B9C805-104-000000D25A9FB6FA.jpg

Nice even patina........
D11B091F-2194-4CAD-844B-7A1B23701154-104-000000D278C2365F.jpg

Nice, wouldn't mind sharing that "secret sauce" would you? Sometimes I like to force a petina on my blades like that. I've even blued a couple.

Quote: wouldn't mind sharing that "secret sauce" would you? Sometimes I like to force a petina on my blades like that. ....Without getting technical about the patina, with a carbon blade, just cut up some citrus fruit and some lean red meat...gently wipe the blade down between item cuts and let the residue dry, then cut again...The acid in the citrus will start the patina and the meat juices will stabilize it...

Mine developed it's patina without any conscious effort on my part...I also use it for cutting fruit while I'm traveling, and it just happened naturally over time..

Last edited:
You can do that but it takes a long time. This takes minutes and will coat the whole blade evenly, if that's what you wish to do. Or you can add a resistant and only coat the parts you want. The longer you leave it, the darker. But eventually, it will start eating away at more than just the surface. It will also work on stainless that citrus has no effect on. Once you are done, rust is no longer a concern.

Here is a blade that is actually etched. 8 hours in a lemon had no effect on it at all. For a carbon blade, 2-3 hours would be plenty. I submerged it (with a resistant where blade is still clean) for about 55 minutes......

Before:
DCFF7BFA-575B-4136-8AEA-8ED747EAD63A-196-00000027173E194F.jpg

After:
0151C9A7-FDC2-4D0E-8629-B5BDBAE403E7-337-00000041376EBA65.jpg

3C1BB1A9-7CE0-406C-8FFB-9891B46C7BAC-337-00000042CD0ED39A.jpg

That is a utility blade I made for scribing and opening boxes and such. It's the first blade I ever experimented with the secret sauce on. I left it in about 10 minutes too long......

Well,,, I'm liking it more now, but be honest,
Do you have an unexplainable desire to wear cork soled sandals since you bought it?
grin.gif

Back on topic.
Can't speak about stainless, but plain ol white vinegar also works on 1095. I soak it overnight. Then even it out with 0000X steel wool and kroil. Repeat if necessary.
My GEC took two treatments.
Like Bill said, "they'll discolor naturally over time" but if you dislike blade etches as much as I do, the vinegar treatment's a must.

PS, try sanding the France off the handle, and see if the urge to change footwear subsides.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteWell,,, I'm liking it more now, but be honest,
Do you have an unexplainable desire to wear cork soled sandals since you bought it?
grin.gif

PS, try sanding the France off the handle, and see if the urge to change footwear subsides.

laugh.gif
My first good laugh of the day. So I take it that is what Birkenstocks are? German footwear?
laugh.gif

I actually thought about doing that to the handle.

I ruined a whole blade a few years ago trying to get the "Made in China" etch off it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: rpc55nicely done Ken. Can I send you mine for the treatment?

Sure.

I know another way of etching blades also. I haven't done it in years. It involves saltwater and a small electrical charge. It's not for doing whole blades, just inscribing your initials or logos and such.

The last knife I did it to, I lost......

Get one Charlie. You will like it for the high carbon alone. Sand "France" off it, hit it with a nice patina, GTG.

I stropped the he11 out of it last night and that sucker is very sharp. Took a great edge......

Back