Good Hunting Knife

dpollard

I need some help in buying my first hunting knife. I would like to know what characteristics make a quality knife for quartering/skinning elk and deer that cost

Last edited:
Kinda like guns.
Everyone likes something different, and most of em will work.
For a good US made workhorse, take a look at Knives of Alaska.

Or for a little less money, Buck Vanguard's still made in the US.
Trouble009.jpg

I've had this one for about 25yrs and it's still going strong.

I would contact some of the knife makers, describe what your intended use will be and see what they will charge to make one to order...

RainShadow (member here) has made several for me at a very reasonable cost and one of them I carry all the time when out in the field...

SurpriseKnife-1.jpg

Fits my hand perfectly, stays sharp longer than most others I've had and it wasn't that expensive...

These are a little more expensive, but they are my design and made for me by a nationally known knife maker in my home town. Quite a bit heavier than your normal hunting knife..

EngleKnives.jpg

Originally Posted By: dpollardI need some help in buying my first hunting knife. I would like to know what characteristics make a quality knife for quartering/skinning elk and deer that cost

As stated, there are lots of reasonably priced cutom makers out there.

As for factory blades or semi-custom, I like some of the stuff made right here in my home state. Older Marbles, Bark River, Northwoods, Olsen, Hess, Rapid River. All classic Michigan style hunting blades. Although Bark River has really branched out of late ond offer a very wide variety now. Most of these blades will rust rather easily if not wiped down after hunting and oiled. But they do one thing REAL well, and that's cut stuff.

The older USA made carbon steel Schrades are always nice also. As are the Queen D2 blades.

Lots of good choices. All I can tell you is, don't buy any Chinese made crap. I can tell you first hand that the steel is absolute garbage. The knives may look real nice, but there is a reason why the prices are so low. Junk steel........

My only good set is a trapperman set I think its called from Mcrosky knives. Cant remember the cost but I think it was under $200 delivered to Canada. Scary sharp knife.

Thanks for all the replies. Not looking to go custom. I want an over the counter knife I can run to a retailer and buy.

Seems like a lot of people like Buck knifes. Are they good or overhyped?

Mccrosky isnt a full out custom. A great hunting knife it is though and free sharpening for life as long as you pay shipping. I promise you after having one of his you wont look at a store bought knife anymore

Originally Posted By: OiltowncallerMccrosky isnt a full out custom. A great hunting knife it is though and free sharpening for life as long as you pay shipping. I promise you after having one of his you wont look at a store bought knife anymore

I'll check these out closer. Thanks! On their website says you can skin 2-4 elk before sharpening, sounds pretty good to me.

Back