Just for fun....

Workman

I figured a few of you knife collectors would enjoy this, so I'll tell the story.

Sanpete County, Utah is pretty well known as a hot spot of custom knife builders. Guys like Steve Johnson, John Young and Gil Hibben are all from this area or have spent a good amount of time building knives here.

Yesterday was the start of our county fair and like most small, rural communities our fairgrounds and surrounding area can use some upkeep. Steve Johnson saw this as an opportunity to call upon a handful of local knifemakers and ask them to donate a knife for auction.

The auction took place at the end of the outdoor expo and Kerry Carver and I, along with our families, got to take in the festivities around the auction. It was lively and some great pieces were auctioned off. Kerry can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lowest final bid on any of the knives was $300 and the highest being Steve Johnson's that took $1950.

It was a really great time for everyone involved and I personally was blown away by all of the talented makers in such a close proximity.

Here is a shot that was put together for the primer:
488097_10150954782075509_1161771994_n.jpg

Very nice.

I have a fresh chunk of 5/32" 1095 here. I've been thinking of something similar to that Bair knife. Some type of beefy Wharncliff blade........

Back