Knife cleaning question

bigsky_songdogs

So I sent back my EDC folder a couple weeks back for a cleaning and sharpening. Like I said this is my EDC and as such does not get the care it should. It has 5+ years of filth in the crevices etc, I take better care of my other belongings but for some reason this one is just the workhorse that gets forgotten. I plan to change that and give it the care it needs (the reason for sending it in) but I got it back today, and although they sharpened it, they didn’t clean it. I really sent it in for a cleaning
frown.gif

So my question is what is the best way to get in the nooks and crannies to get the gunk, surface rust, blood, food, lint etc out that has been accumulating the last 5 years?

Also, what kind of knife cleaning products do you fellas use to keep your knives in tip top shape?

I use canned air or one of my compressors to blow the crud out from between the liners. Flitz and a cotton ball or rag for cleaning. Sometimes Kroil. It cleans and lubricates. 0000 Steel wool if you must.

A Q-tip can be used to clean between the liners if necessary. Toothpicks are good for cleaning up crud stuck in jigged bone and other tight places.

To get rust off where steel has started to pit, I use the tip of a sharp knife blade to scrape it. Usually a smaller pen blade.

Sometimes I buff with green compound. Different degrees of buffing for different blades and the look I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes no buffing.

I use a drop of Liquid Bearings between the blade(s) and bolsters when I'm done......

Back