I treated my self to a hand made hunting knife...

The Virginian

I saw this fellow's work on another forum, so I contacted him to make me a knife to my specs. Here's what he came up with and believe it or not, this was the third knife he had ever made. I almost feelguilty using it in the field but I always wanted a nice knife just once in my life. I'm quite sure it will out live me.

The knife is 8 3/4" OAL, O1 tool steel blade, with brass pins and bolster and oak burl. When I ordered it, I asked him to make the blade a thin as possible, think scalpel. I've skinned 27 white tail with it so far and love it. It also came with a hand made sheath that's a basket weave print soaked in wax. I don't wear it much in the field because when I sit down in a deer stand, the sheath is the first thing to dig in. So I leave it at camp till I return, hopefully with some game in tow.

Eric

goldenknife003.jpg

goldenknifespine001.jpg

goldenknife008.jpg

Wow! Sweet knife! Can someone give us a list of knife makers who post here? I'm sure it has been done in the past. I would love to have a quality custom made knife made by someone here.

Originally Posted By: CenturionWow! Sweet knife! Can someone give us a list of knife makers who post here? I'm sure it has been done in the past. I would love to have a quality custom made knife made by someone here.

I second that motion.

Chupa

That is a beautiful knife Eric. Awesome file work.

After 27 deer it looks damm good too. You must be a surgeon.

Please post it in the Customs Only sticky thread.

Thanks......

Man you must baby that thing Eric. 01 is great knife steel. Takes and holds a nice edge. But stains/rusts easily. And 27 deer? No way I could have kept it looking that good for that long.

I had stains on the blade of my last tool steel knife after cleaning 1 bear with it. It took one day
blushing.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

Thanks......

Can this thread beloved or should I delete it and post int he customs only? Sorry about that...

Eric

As has been said, Very nice work.
thumbup1.gif

Can you post a link to the maker?
What does one have to pay for such a fine custom knife?
If you don't mind my asking

Originally Posted By: vixAs has been said, Very nice work.
thumbup1.gif

Can you post a link to the maker?
What does one have to pay for such a fine custom knife?
If you don't mind my asking

Vix,

I met this guty on rimfirecentral.com, his logon is SQUAWSACH. Kere's a link to another knife he just finished http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458802. Just send him a private message and tell him what you want. I sent you a private message regarding the price.

Eric

Originally Posted By: The VirginianOriginally Posted By: 2muchgun

Thanks......

Can this thread beloved or should I delete it and post int he customs only? Sorry about that...

Eric

This thread is good to go. Don't delete it. Just add pics to CKO sticky thread.

Thanks Eric.

I like that knife he did with the blue liners also. That is the color I'm going with next......

Ken- will do. Also the pics I posted were when Gary Dukeman made the knife new. It was unused in those pics. I'll take some more current pics when I post them in the other thread.

The holster is my attemp at stamping leather. It's also 35 years old.
smile.gif

Eric

Back