Rehabbing old sheaths/making new ones-revised

bigsky_songdogs

Is there a way to rehab old sheaths? Seems like all the cool older knifes I pick up have stretched out sheaths, some more than others, the new to me Queen 82 would tumble out If not for the strap. Now of course this could very we not be the original sheath, and in that case can they be retrofitted easily?

Soni was thinking about having Trashcan make one or fix this, but I think it would be more fun to make my own. Anyone know what essential tools and material I'll need, any sheer a good place to get a little leather etc?

Thanks.

Suspect in question
6b2820e4.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that is the original sheath, but I could be wrong.

I have a David Winston sheath that needs restitching. I told David about it and mailed it off. He sent the old one back, with a brand new one. Apparently repairs aren't his thing.

Maybe Trashcan can sew her up......

Thanks Ken,

Maybe Ill just see if TC can make me a new one instead, he made a butt stock shell holder for my win 94 trapper that is amazing!

Is there anyway to date those queens, Ken? Its not a high dollar knife and not super old, but its got a little coolness to it so i figure itll make a good B&T

Definatly make your own. It's fun and if I can do it any body can.
Lots of how-to's on youtube.

The basic tools needed are something to cut the leather with (Duh), a groving tool, an awl, and a stitch spacing wheel.
006-3.jpg

You'll need some rubber cement, a drill (drill press is better) and belt sander for the edges ( you can hand sand em if you don't have one).
There's tons of info on the net.

PS,,, I use a utility knife to cut the leather. A small diamond stone will keep em sharp.

I"m far from an expert but if you deceide to try your hand at it PM me and I'll try to help.

Back