which knife?

bamayote23

Hey everyone, i'm currently looking for a new EDC knife and i have narrowed it down to three choices. The Benchmade Griptilian, mini grip, or the Kershaw Blur. I currently have a Kershaw leak which i love but i'm just looking for a little bit sturdier knife and have heard great things on the Grips and the Blur. thanks for your help!

What length of blade are you looking for? Do you want a one hand opener? I'm guessing a folder, how many blades do you want on it. Is style as important as function? There are a lot to look at, some of the classics are hard to beat for function.

I've had the mini grip for about a year. It has proved to be a great knife. Never had to tighten a screw on this knife once(not even the belt clip). The blade lock is a great design and the blade is tight, nothing is loose on this knife. I have the D2 blade on mine. I dont have much experience with the Kershaw but I'm sure they make a good knife. I think the Griptilian is superior IMO. While both offer S30V blades, the Griptilian's Axis blade lock is far superior and safer than the Blur's liner lock. Also the Griptilian is fully ambidextrous. (blade lock and belt clip). While the Blur is assisted opening the Griptilian opens very smooth and easy with one hand and closes so easy after disengaging the lock a mere jerk of the knife and the blade closes on its own without any assistance so long as you keep the knife clean and maintained.

Kershaw Chive or Scallion speed-safe. They're about $40. Good blade and heavy handles. Or, a good old Case Sod Buster. It's hard to beat them. I also like their trapper style knives too.

bf48e6b5.jpg

For a one-hander, Benchmade and Spyderco can fix you right up with first rate models that run the gamut in price and blade steel choices.

I like my Kershaws, dont own a Bench Made. But in all honesty Im really starting to love what Spyderco is putting out. Ive had a Tenacious for a few months it has been my new EDC (unless Im carrying the skeletool) For $32 on amazon I think its pretty hard to beat for a general use EDC blade.

If I were to choose from the 3 you listed it would be the mini grip. I dont know much about steel but 154CM I've heard of and own, it works pretty good. I personally like the smaller blade that it has as well.

EDITED: Forgot to mention If i remember correctly the blur is an assisted opener, I dont know how much work you do in dusty/dirty environments but I did have a sog twitch II that was assisted, I sold it pretty quick after stacking hay one day, the dust/dirt got in my pocket and made the knife a real PITA to open, maybe it was just that knife but I think assisted openers have pretty tight tolerances making them annoying to use after getting dirt in them.

Last edited:
Benchmade is not what they used to be. I have been down on them ever since they got caught ripping off patents.

Spydercos are nice, but I try to go American.

Here is one I like a lot. Kershaw Blackout (spring assisted):

319e1ed9.jpg

Next to it are a Gerber and a Timberline. The Gerber I found at work and may be Chinese. The Timberline was given to me and is made in Taiwan. I have used it quite a bit and it is a good knife. All 3 have pocket clips.....

I've got the benchmade griptilian, great knife, its survived about three years here in the Marines with me.... that should atest to its durability.

Thanks everyone for the help! i ended up getting a mini griptilian from a friend and i absolutly love it! now i'm wanting the full size griptilian for a little heavier work

Back