Wants your personal preference in a hunting knife?

pahntr760

Blade style? Material? Handle? Length? Fixed vs Folder?

I have 2 primary knifes I carry for field use.

First is a buck Omni Hunter. It has a nice drop point and a very heavy thick blade of Stainless. (12c). I like the ergo's of the handle and blade, it makes a nice skinner.

I also have a nice and new Rainshadow Budget skinner. The this was born to skin. Very sleek design and functions well. Pretty good looking to boot!

I have a gut-hook schrade, but I'm not too into it. But it is a US knife with decent steel (seemingly) and the rubber handle makes it easy to hold when wet or bloody.

What's your preference?

http://www.knivesplus.com/buckknifebu-391cms.html

ef4f2f98.jpg

My favorite is a two bladed Case folding knife that I have carried for more than 50 years. I lost track of how many deer, rabbits, phesants, quail and turkeys i've cleaned with that knife. I also carried it in Viet Nam and a lot of other places most people have never heard of. I've tried other knives but always come back to that old Case.

Caseknife002.jpg

Originally Posted By: JerrySchmittMy favorite is a two bladed Case folding knife that I have carried for more than 50 years. I lost track of how many deer, rabbits, phesants, quail and turkeys i've cleaned with that knife. I also carried it in Viet Nam and a lot of other places most people have never heard of. I've tried other knives but always come back to that old Case.

That is awesome, I hope you have someone special you can pass it down to eventually that will cherish it like you did.

I have a hard time deciding what I like best. I like a lot of different patterns. I have an easier time telling what I don't like/have no use for.

I have ZERO tolerance for crappy steel, I know that........

Pretty much. All 3 have produced some excellent steel. There is even some decent steel made in Taiwan now. Timberline knives and a few others use it.

The stainless Jap steel made back in the 80s is of very high quality IMO. It takes an edge better than most SS. Some of the current Jap stuff is good also.

I have yet to see any Chinese steel worth a crap........

Originally Posted By: JerrySchmittMy favorite is a two bladed Case folding knife that I have carried for more than 50 years. I lost track of how many deer, rabbits, phesants, quail and turkeys i've cleaned with that knife. I also carried it in Viet Nam and a lot of other places most people have never heard of. I've tried other knives but always come back to that old Case.

Caseknife002.jpg

My 80 year old dad just passed his old Case knife exactly like that along to me. My Mom bought it for him in 1962 and it has been his mainstay hunting knife for all these many years. Those thin carbon steel blades take a wicked sharp edge. I plan on using it on special hunts where dad and I spent time together and he can no longer manage to get out there. No amount of money could buy Dad's knife.

i know theres some new steels' out that im not familiar w/ but i judge/purchase a knife off steel, cant go wrong s30v,ats-34/154cm, or d2....theres some good blades in 440c but thats the low end steel for me...IMO...

I like traditional knives. (Go figure)

Never leave home without a small folder of some nature or go hunting without a good fixed blade.
I don't do much big game hunting any more so just like my rifles, calibers, and dogs, my knives have gotten smaller over the years.
The perfect combo for my woods forays these days is a nice little B&T and a med sized single blade folder.
Preferably with carbon blades and either stag or wood scales.

We have the same tastes. Although for folders I generally prefer bone to wood, unless it's something exotic. Stag still rules......

440C is very good steel for knives, overall. However, not all 440 is "C", and quality of what many call "440C" seems to vary. The Jap 440 is very good. Especially the stuff made back in the 80s. The Chinese stuff is terrible. If it says "400 series" it is guaranteed crap, and if it says "440C" it usually isn't.....

There is 440C, which is pretty good stuff all things equal. And then there is 440A and 440B - which are markedly inferior low end budget steels.

Yep. Exactly. Also, if it simply says "440", it probably isn't "C".

It is also my belief that some of the "440C" marked blades are actually not.......

My current favorite is an Outdoor Edge SwingBlaze. I normally don't go for the gimic knives, but my buddy and I have been looking for the perfect gutting knife for years. We've run the course of guthooks, saws, multifunction, and straight blades. I saw them on sale year before last and bought him one for his birthday. 3 deer later I had one in my hands too. It makes deer seem like they have a zipper in them. It holds a pretty decent edge and the curved blade is awesome for gutting. We are both pleased with their performance after gutting about 8 deer with them. I do all the skinning and quartering back at camp and keep a Lakota Fishawk filet and a Forschner skinner there. For an all around woods knife for big game or small, I like my Buck 102 or my Shrade version of the Buck 110 folder. I rarely wear my knife, I carry it in a pack with a folding saw and drag rope. At my stage in life, belts seem more restricting than they use to be and bibs seem to be the comfortable attire hunting
tongue_smilie.gif

I'm currently looking for a fixed blade B&T type knife to do my fur skinning with this year. A couple have caught my eye, just haven't decided on one yet. The Dunn Minker looks interesting as well as the Queen Steel #85 and the little Ka-bars.

Quote:I rarely wear my knife, I carry it in a pack with a folding saw and drag rope. At my stage in life, belts seem more restricting than they use to be and bibs seem to be the comfortable attire hunting

I resemble that remark.
thumbup.gif

Bibs..........uniform of the day.
laugh.gif

I love my Queen knives. If they have a downside to them is they could sharpen them more before they box them.

Back