.243: Which bullet for wolves?

With the wolf season coming up here in Wisconsin, I'm trying to decide what I should load up in my .243 WSSM. It's a 20", 1:10 twist AR-15.

I was thinking either an Accubond or Ballistic Tip, in 90/95 grain. What would be my other options or what are others' suggestions?

Whats the range you'll be shooting? I've never hunted them but I think if using a 243 I'd want something solid to break a shoulder. I'd look into Barnes ttsx in a 90-95 which ever they run

Last edited:
80gr TTSX or 85gr TSX would be my pick. They kill well, and don't damage fur too bad.

I would go Accubond or Partition over ballistic tip......

I do not recommend Berger VLD's...very accurate but not very deadly on deer based on my very limited experience with them.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishWhats the range you'll be shooting? I've never hunted them but I think if using a 243 I'd want something solid to break a shoulder. I'd look into Barnes ttsx in a 90-95 which ever they run

I probably won't be shooting much past 200 yards I would imagine. Most shot opportunities (if any) would most likely occur within 100 yards.

I think I might try the Accubonds or the 80gr TTSX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 17FireballI do not recommend Berger VLD's...very accurate but not very deadly on deer based on my very limited experience with them.

They work perfect they just require the shooter to put the bullet where it needs to go!

I use the 100 gr. Hornady interlocks on deer and they have performed every time.
Also found them to shoot better than Nosler BTs

I guided for wolves for a while and have seen the wounds from .22-250 through .30-378Weatherby and .308 Warbird.

Slightly into the triple digits in wolves and a bullet that performed extremely well was Remington 100gr core lokt in a 6mmRem. Sheds all of its energy and massive offside hemorraghing.

By the way, it sounds like you have almost the perfect wolf rifle. Good choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameBy the way, it sounds like you have almost the perfect wolf rifle. Good choice.

Thanks! It's a little over kill for coyotes, but I think the .223/5.56 has a little to be desired at times. At least with my WSSM, I have a laser trajectory, super wide assortment of bullets, ability to take varmints on up thru deer and antelope, and with the 20" barrel and AR action, a light, quick handling gun that'll allow me fast follow-up shots if needed. I feel it's about perfect too.

My choices:

Nosler Partitions - The 85, 95, or 100g would all work great. I shoot the 95g in my 243 for deer but that is probably a matter of personal preference.

Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting - My 243 REALLY loves the 90g over 36g of Varget but your WSSM has more velocity and I would be afraid of a splash if you got a close up shot and the impact velocity was greater than 3100 feet and you hit a shoulder. I do not shoot the 95g but it is my understanding that the guy that developed it used it for deer and even shot elk with it. While I think elk is a bit of stretch I don't think a wolf would complain too much about being hit with one.

Nosler Accubond - This 90g offering by Nosler is so new that I have not read much field test data on it. I have started several times to buy some and give it a whirl but the 95g Partitions are just so reliable that it is hard to justify spending the money for load development when the partition has done so well.

As you can tell I am kind of partial to Nosler. Their factory is located in the same state that I live and I like to support the local guy whenever possible. Although I have been known to sneak down to Wholesale Sports and buy a box SGK 85g when I am feeling a little unfaithful. Feelings of guilt and shame always follow...

Last edited:
Has anybody gained any real life experience since this thread last posted? Wolf has reached the top of my bucket list and the hunt prep is on now.

If long range is likely, Nosler 90 Hunting Ballistic Tips, otherwise, Nosler 85gr Partitions.

They don't take a lot of killing - about like a smallish antelope.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I would shoot the Sierra 80 gr SBT.

I wouldn't even think twice about that bullet.

Killed a lot of animals with it out of my 6mm. Great bullet for light to medium light work. Shoots great too.

Back