CCI VELOCITOR

d2admin

Administrator
Man these bullets are the cats a$$. Went squirrel hunting tonight with my 10/22 and a load of the afor-mentioned rounds, they are awesome, all head shots, some 75-80 ft.(tall trees), completely annihilated the little fellars skull. Not a bit of meat wasted. I highly reccommend these bullets to any small game hunter.

I saw them on the shelf yesterday for the first time. Have anyone shot any groups with it to see how accurate and consistent it is going to be?

Sometimes the hyper-22 bullets are not as accurate as some of the other 22 ammo. But I think I'm going to give these a try...

Yep, I've shot some of these screamin' devils through my very accurate Butler Creek barreled 10/22 with a Tasco 4-16 mag IV scope. They are not as pin point accurate as the standard velocity rounds but after shooting them I don't really care. I do a lot of 22lr shooting at 100 yards+ on Round Tailed Ground Squirrels and Jackrabbits. so I like to see what rounds from various manufacturers will do at 100 yards. I do not have my field notes with me right now but from what I remember the following is pretty close. Generally the hunting 22lr's shoot between 6 and 8 inches low at 100yds with a 50yd "0". The Velocitor's shoot less than an inch low at 100 yards. Accuracy is in the .75-1.5" area. Another words place the cross hairs on top of a tree squirrels head and you will get a head hit most of the time. "AMAZING." I shot it throught a Chrony as well. While the average 22lr shot 1150-1225fps the Velocitors were screamin' along at darned near 1400fps. AND this is accomplished not with one of those light weight 20 something grain bullets. The Velocitor's shoot full sized 35 or 40 grained bullet. I don't know how they get this preformance but "whow". In the 10/22 they fed very well. You know right away that you are shooting something considerably more powerful than the average 22lr because the bolt absolutely slaps back. I generally don't like the super high velocity stuff in a 22lr but these things amazed me and I went out and got some more.

I'd like to hear about how they preformed in your gun.

Are they faster than the Stingers? I thought they were supposed to shoot around 1500 fps but they sure drop a lot more than your experience with these new rounds show. Have you shot them thru a chrony?

Yes I did shoot them through a Chrony, but I have never shot stingers through one, as I wrote in the above post. Like I said I don't have my field notes with me but they were signifigantly faster than Winchester super x's and they shoot MUCH flatter. Stingers get their speed from a very light bullet, and a slightly longer than standard case (have you ever compared 22lr case lengths? There is amazing variations in these lengths. Stingers are just about if not the very longest 22lr case out there) these still have a 35 or so grained bullet so retained energy is greater. However I have to admit that I never fired them at 50 yards. I have the rifle sighted in to be right on at 50 yards with cheap walmart bulk Winchester ammo that my rifle shoots very well. So I guesss that 50 yard performance may prove to have a much higher point of impact than my standard load. This would skew the relative drop of my bullet at 100yds. Relative windage was uneffected. I do know this though. Out to 75 yards I will stick with my standard load but anything past that point will get the Velocitors. The reason that I did not shoot for a 50 yard "0" was because I only had 1 box of 50. After shooting 20 or so rounds at paper and being very impressed I decided to try shooting random targets on the fly (for you fellas back where the ground is covered with grass, the desert is dry dirt, rocks, sticks, clumps of dirt are easy to find). So on small slightly larger than golf ball sized targets from 80 to 125 yards hits were makable with remarkable regularity. I was having so much fun doing this that I shot up all the rounds that I had. At a local gunshop I talked to some of the people buying these rounds and their experiences closely followed my own.

Thanks for the info. I'll try some if I see them. We do a lot of prarie dog hunting with .22s in the spring when the young ones are out and dumb. 100 yard shots are common and a flat shooting load would help.

ok can you shoot these bullets through a 10/22 target model, the manual that comes with ruger says not to shoot stingers through your 10/22, so i wonder if this stands for the velocitor? let me know, i wont try them until i find out, i have rugers target model....

Originally posted by varmintslayer:
[qb]ok can you shoot these bullets through a 10/22 target model, the manual that comes with ruger says not to shoot stingers through your 10/22, so i wonder if this stands for the velocitor? let me know, i wont try them until i find out, i have rugers target model....[/qb]
Shouldn't be a problem, the case length is the same as a standard .22lr whereas the stinger's case is longer.

dave

I would assume you could shoot them through a 10/22 because there was a promotion with Ruger and CCI if you sent in your Velocitor UPC you would get entered in a drawn to in a Special Edition Velocitor Target 10/22.

Michael,
I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm going to give them a go this weekend. I will let you know how they perform.

Actually, they look to be very promising, especially with a 40 grain bullet. -MP

Back