wyoming prairie dogs?

desert puppy

Does anyone know if there is a prairie dog season in Wyoming? I was interested in going to the thunder basin grassland area. Are the grassland areas open to prairie dogs? Thanks

yes there are prairie dogs in SD but grassland season doesn't open til the 15th or so of June. A buddy wants to hunt june 1st and 2nd and has some area around castleton? in mind. I told him there might be a season on the grassland there but didn't know for sure.

I was in Thunder Basin last fall. North of the Cheyenne River and south of 450 an area of about 150 sq miles. I was there just after they reopened the area to PD shooting after a 5 months of being closed. I spend 4 days there deer and antelope hunting. In those 4 days I could have counted the PDs I seen on one hand. It was a ghost town! A few years ago you could sit in one spot and shoot all day. They blame it on the "plaque" but if you ask me it looks like a big poisoning program. Somebody is kidding somebody here about protecting the Ferrets, there is nothing for the ferrets to eat there???

Most of the Thunder Basin Grassland in Wyoming is closed to Prarie dog shooting. There are scattered open shooting areas but you better know exactly where you are.

Back