Varmints Beware! Another new rifle is on its way to papa...

d2admin

Administrator
Made phone calls all around the country yesterday before finding my new baby in stock finally in PA. Was the first shop I had tried to call that had it too, but their line was busy the first times I called them. Anyway, this will be a walking rig that I am sure will also get some duty off the portable shooting bench as well. Have decided to put a Nikon 5.5-16.5X44AO Monarch on top of it to give me the versatility for both. Ought to be a great companion to my Bullberry 17 Ackley Hornet Contender (14") and the Bullberry 17 Hummer carbine.

cooperclassic17.jpg

Mine has nicer wood than this one I copied the picture of from the Cooper web site has. A Cooper Varminter 17M4 is next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thats great!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Coopers have caught my eye a couple of times. I would like to get (someday) the model 22 in 220 Swift in the Western classic styling. That is a beautiful rifle!! Let us know how she shoots.

DA

Ladobe, Your going to like it. I have a .17 K-Hornet in a Contender carbine and really love it. I have not trouble getting sub. 1/2 moa with 19 grn. Calhoon bullets. The longest shot on a whisle pig so far is 185 yrds., got 2 at that range and it`s still point blank. Haven`t cronoed them yet, but shooting max. loads of H-4227. Becarefull when working up loads you can go from safe to over load with 1/2 grn., I work up .1 grn. at a time. My barrel is a Bullberry with a thight throught.

DA -
It'll be about another week for it gets here and the games can begin. FYI, the lead times on Coopers is running 6-9 months right now depending on model/caliber choice - and its only going to get longer I expect. That 22 Western Classic is running about $2800 right now without upgrades - that also will go up the longer you wait. Felt lucky to find exactly what I wanted in stock and hope I am again when I start looking for the Varminter in 17M4 or 221 Fireball.

catfish-
Thanks for the thoughts on reloading. I know all about working up loads for the small cases - I've had my Bullberry 17AH for almost 2 years and it also has a tight throat/chamber. Have formed 500 cases for the new rifle so far, a lot of work on a single stage press I'm here to tell you. The brass prep was almost as bad. I'll fireform them in the rifle when out hunting though.

MP-
You dog! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif When you going to get down this way for some night spotlighting jackrabbits lad? Got a ranch with a place to stay on it that is completely over-ran and infested with them about 2 hours away. A Friday and Saturday night would be ideal. Ain't it about time for the SO to visit family again? Most any weekend in June might be possible? (tease-tease-tease) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

0204140.jpg

Larry,
You are right. I have told you on many occasions that I would drop in on you. What usually happens is that the wife and kids go without me because I'm anchored at work.
I will see if I can pick up a plane ticket, hit my mother in laws house, and take the Suburban out to your place.
I am working a tight timeline on an elementary school that I am building. I will see if I can line up all the subcontractors for a week, and push the critical path up a few days so I can get away.

Your right, It is time we got together! MP

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Mike...
No need to push it to where you are all stressed out trying to get down here pard. There will still be plenty of hoppers around next month or the month after that I'd bet. I just got 2 different models of NightBlasters for my rifles just to try out up there (a 100 yard rechargeable for walking out and a 350 yard that plugs into the truck), as well as a new Brinkmann for making night into day if need be. If I remember right, your wife's family is on the far east side of the valley (I'm on the far west). East is the side we need to head out from, so it will end up being easier if I come your way on the way out the day we go I bet. Anyway, don't panic over getting here, with only the rancher and his 2 half grown son's belting them when they can make time (with 22 rimfires) - and something like 18-20 full sections planted this year, I doubt they will run short of hoppers or badger before we get there. Besides, I need a couple of weeks just to get and setup the new Cooper 17AH. The Cooper, the new Bullberry 17HMR and my Browning Low Wall Hornet ought to be pretty good medicine for this shooting - got lots of Contender barrel choices too in the pistola department, as well as the XP-100's. Wonder if the 375JDJ would take a hopper out with one shot or not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I will also toss a couple of 22 rimfires in (77/22 and a custom 10/22). Don't have a plastic raygun, so if you need one of them you'll have to bring yours. I'll leave all the long range stuff at home on this trip.

Drop me a post on the side or call when you think you'll have some time (a couple weeks ahead if possible). BTW, got the BOS and note from Tom Thomas today and the Cooper is on its way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Larry

Back