New gun Tikka t 3 lite 223 need load help.

varmit_master

I am ordering a new one Monday. I have Hornady SPSX bullets 50gr and 55gr BT bullets. I used to load AA 2015 25grs with a 50gr Bt. I going to use this predator hunting only. I have varget power on hand 2015 to. I want try to say with a 50gr bullet. What powder do you think would work best? I am wanting to try so Varmageddon bullets may have to try the 55gr hp or tip bullets. Has anybody used any of them if so how did they do. Some places I hunt has alot of fox and cats. I know the BT isn't fur friendly. What about a lite v max. I have rem and win brass. My order some 45gr Win bullets to try on coyotes. Ty vm

With My Tikka the 50-55 gr bullets have not grouped as well as 40 and 60 gr bullets with the 1/8 twist barrel. Maybe I didnt try enough loads? But the 40's shoot so well, and anchor coyotes and send ground squirrels flying so well, thats the load I shoot the most. The 60 vmax is also very accurate in My rifle. Good luck with your load developement.

I had great luck with 40 vmaxes and h4198. Just had a pound laying around so figured i ought to try it. H322 was another great powder with awesome resuts.

Mine is the Varmint model in .223 and it loves Varget and Benchmark powders. Below are the powder with bullet combos and all loads shoot under 1" at 100 yards with five shots and some 1/2".

Benchmark
55 Vmax
60 Vmax
50 SBK (shoots the best...same dang hole)

Varget
69 SMK
75 Amax
75 VLD (shoots the best...1/2")

I seen they make a 1@8 and a1@12 twist. Does the Tikka t 3 lite just come in the 8 twist. I have 6 to 800 BT bullets on in 55gr BT on hand. VM

Personally, I would shoot the BT's over the SX bullets for coyotes. I shot a coyote years ago with a 50gr SX out of a 22" .22-250 and it was beyond horrible, bordering on unethical. The bullet hit the first rib behind the dog's shoulder and splashed. Blew the front leg almost clean off, and the coyote ran off. I was lucky enuff to get another chance at the same coyote about 3 weeks later. This time a 52gr Speer HP to almost the exact same spot put the coyote out of his misery.
Prolly wouldn't be quite as bad with the slower velocities of the .223, but not a chance I'd be willing to take again. They do however work awesome on prairie dogs from either cartridge!!

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterI seen they make a 1@8 and a1@12 twist. Does the Tikka t 3 lite just come in the 8 twist. I have 6 to 800 BT bullets on in 55gr BT on hand. VM

The twist rate will be marked on the barrel. Mine is 1" in 8", as I belive all the newer models are. I shoot from 52gr to 65gr bullets and am Using H4895 for these koads. There a lots of good powders for the .223 to use. Try what you have on hand.
Good luck with the new rifle. You will love it!
thumbup.gif

Back