Razor

tnshootist

Anyone shave with a straight razor?I have been shaving with one for several years now.It is not hard to do and I save quite a bit of money.Better shave than cheap throw away razors.All you need is a razor,cup with a soap bar,brush and strop to keep it at the sharpest.People always say,"I would cut my throat".Not so,when you start cutting meat you will stop real fast.Any nick I might get has always been tiny so far.But,you don't want kids running around you or such that might bump you,that could be sudden bad.

I understand.I guess they are not liked by most or they would not have been replaced.I can get a much closer shave and I enjoy keeping them sharp.But you can save quite a bit of money,more than you would first think.

For most of my adult years, I've had a mustache, & unless the job wouldn't allow it, I usually have had a full beard in the cold months.

But, about 4 years ago, I decided to keep a beard year-round...although when it's as hot as it's been, I do keep it trimmed pretty close.
So, I haven't had any kind of razor in the house for a long time.

I tried a straight razor...once. Scared the heck out of me, so I never used one again.

i made a couple of fixed bladed razors for a guy to cut calves with, so i tryed shaving with them before i sent them out just to see, i figure if i had the time to learn it would be ok

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

yes its damascus, i ground these down to 2 thousandeths, the pics are before i put the finally edge on them. i got it shaved but it was slow, ha

I think a straight razor would be worth a try if I had one.
I don`t use the cheap throw aways because they leave my face feeling tore up..similar to an electric.
I better stick with my Gillette WARP 10...or is it MACH 3 ?

I can't use an electric either.Wife got me a good one when we had not been married long and of course I tried to use it but it just ground the hide off and left whiskers.

Originally Posted By: HookedThe patented lift yank and tear system...

Ain't that the truth, my hair is too coarse for the electrics. I learned to shave with a disposable version of a straight razor. American Safety Razor plant was about 4 miles from where I grew up. We had cases of the Personna blades that fold out like a straight razor with guards that would slip over them to trim mustache and beards. Talk about yanking hair, trimmers they were not. I went to school for a while with toilet paper tabs on my face until I got it down. No shave closer than a surgical steel blade resembling a wide scalpel scraping across your mug. Now I'm lazy, when I do shave, it's a Mach 3 and cold water. I ain't pretty, so I might as well be fast
wink.gif

Those are some pretty cutters you made. Shame the recipients won't really get to appreciate the looks of them, but I'm sure they'll appreciate the sharpness
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: trapper2i made a couple of fixed bladed razors for a guy to cut calves with, so i tryed shaving with them before i sent them out just to see, i figure if i had the time to learn it would be ok

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

Very nicely done.

I have thought of trying a straight razor, but never do. I know a couple of barbers who have some nice oldies that I could probably get from them. A big no thanks to electrics......

With a straight razor it needs to be really sharp so it wont pull at the whiskers and that way you don't have to put much force into it so no cuts.The main thing is just don't slide it,make an even stroke with no sideways sliding.You know what I am trying to say,its pretty easy to get going with one.I got one in some stuff when Dad died and had to give it a try.That first try was not so good.Then I really got in to it and have over a hundred razors,of which I guess about 10 are any good.If anyone wants to give it a try I suggest you get and old henkles(sp) off e-bay,I like them best.Good stones are really expensive but razors can be had cheap.Some Japanese stones cost thousands of dollars.

The one barber I know has a mint old Henckels that is worth some cash. She and her friend also have a Union Cutlery Co.(Kabar), a Hollinger, a Griffon, and a Lee Mfg. Some are worth some money and have the original boxes with them. They don't care too much about them. I may have to "obtain" one next time I go for a haircut.......

2much,if they have no use for them you might get a strop or maybe even a stone also.Maybe even their whole set with cup and brush.I don't have a proper cup,I just use an old coffee cup.

Along the lines of the straight razors and cups. This was my grandfathers shave mug and a brush of sorts. I wish I had his straight razor and strop as well. The brush looks like a paint roller and the mug is white glass similar to milk glass. There are directions for lathering on the back. From what I've seen, these were around in the mid 40's. I haven't done anything to it since my mom gave it to me about 16 years ago. Thought it might bring back memories for some of you.
shavemug.jpg

I think you have talked me into getting one. Not too hard, I know.
grin.gif
I have LOTS of stones but no proper strop, which is something else that I have been meaning to get for a long time and never have. An old mug and brush would be cool too.......

2much,a little trick I learned in sharpening is to put a strip of electrical tape down the spine or back of the blade and that protects the back from getting ground down over time and sets a little angle to the edge.There are some sites if you do a search that covers all things to do with razors.When I started this I had no idea it was so popular still today.There is a large following like we have here for shooters and hunters.

Back