Knives and blades forum??

2muchgun

I started a thread in the Members Clubhouse forum suggesting PM have a separate forum dedicated to knives and blades of all shapes/makes/sizes. Redfrog said if the members make enough noise that maybe we can make it happen.

So any of you who are into knives/blades or just appreciate a good knife (or looking at or discussing knives), please go down to the clubhouse and voice your opinions.

THANK YOU.....

Ken, I made a humble contribution.
thumbup1.gif

I am looking for a good skinning knife, one with a hook on the back side. I am not a collector of knifes, so i want one that will be small enough for a yote and big enough for an elk. Any suggestions?

Something like a Shrade 158OT??

http://www.schrade-knives.com/OldTimer158OT.html

Only find an American made one. The new Chinese ones are junk. USA made ones are not hard to find, and well worth the extra money IMO. I have sharpened both and the Chinkwanese steel sucks for both sharpening and edge retention. Only reason I ended up with one (mine is actually a 152OT) was when I lost my knife while out of town and the local store only had junk, junk, and more Chinese junk to choose from. I'd rather I had my $20 back, but I did use the knife one time on this buck, which I shot the next day:

009-1.jpg

I've got an old Schrade Drop Point Sharpfinger I used for years on the trapline that I love. They were all American made back then. It's way dull. They were good back then.

Well, why not. There are a few good online knife forums but some of us are more shooters and hunters than knife guys whatever that may be. Here is some .45 goodness and a ProTech Dark Angel;

45Goodness2012002.jpg

I've heard that SuperGlue can be good first aid for self-inflicted cuts.

Originally Posted By: CenturionI've got an old Schrade Drop Point Sharpfinger I used for years on the trapline that I love. They were all American made back then. It's way dull. They were good back then.

I have at least fifty Schrade 152 OT Sharpfinger knives in my gun safe. I got on e-Bay right after the Schrade factory shut down and saw how fast the new USA knives were selling, so I went nuts and started investing in some new in the box USA Scrade knives.

A knives and blades forum would be great!

i would like to see that knife forum too........

I like Benchmade knives and this mini Grip with D2 blade is carried everyday

Photo190.jpg

Awesome. I would like a Protech. That Griptillian seems to be HIGHLY popular.

That said, I need you guys to post this stuff in the Clubhouse thread.......

Saw that Puma of yours. Great knife. Oddly enough, it was an old Puma knife that I lost when I had to buy the Chinese Schrade. Only Puma I ever owned. Gutted about 2-3 deer with it and lost it........

Those older Schrade Old Timers used 1095 carbon steel at a fairly low Rockwell heat treatment. As most know that carbon steel will take a very fine edge and is easy to touch up at the level Schrade heat treated them to. It won't hold an edge as long as it might if tweaked just a bit higher on the scale but compromises by being so easy to touch up.

I wouldn't mind seeing a blade forum, but unfortunatly all my knives are Brownings.

Kidding,,,,
grin.gif

Here's a few old friends from Schrade.
032-1.jpg

I wouldn't trade em for anything even though they pretty much collect dust every since I discovered Northwoods.
003-10.jpg

RePete, If you like the slip joints have you looked at Great Eastern Cutlery knives? IMHO they are the finest factory produced traditional folders produced today. Just exceptional quality knives. I've been a Schatt & Morgan guy along with upper end Queen and some German Eye, Bulldog, ect. guy for a long time but those Great Eastern's blow everything else away for quality.

Originally Posted By: GCRePete, If you like the slip joints have you looked at Great Eastern Cutlery knives? IMHO they are the finest factory produced traditional folders produced today. Just exceptional quality knives.

Great minds eah buddy?
Here's my EDC (GEC 25).
003-11.jpg

And a GEC 73 Lockback.
003-3-1.jpg

Still like that Injun River Jack better though. I especially like the convex grind now that I've learned myself how to strop it correctly..

Canal Street's another in the same league IMO. I especially like the fact that the Schrade employee bought Schrades equipment and started making even better knives when Schrade moved their jobs to Chinaland.
Here's a CSC Half Moon Single Blade Trapper I just picked up (pictured with the GEC and my beloved Indian River Jack).
020.jpg

Haven't really bonded with it yet, but hopefully that'll change if I'm lucky enough to get some fur next winter.

Back