?? 45ACP 200gr Lead Power Loads ??

blopez50

I have some round nose/flat tip 200gr cast bullets. They have a Brinell hardness of 18 so I think they should hold up to some speed/pressure.

I'm looking for a load to really push these.. Not a plinking load, something just for kicks. I usually use hp-38/231 and load about 5gr. That makes for a REALLY easy shooting load but just not quite the OOMPH.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Out of an XDm in case it matters.

Last edited:
My normal load from my 1911 A1 with that wt. bullet is 7.5 grains of Unique. It's listed as Max in my old manual but my newer Sierra manual says 8.0 is max.

The actual bullet I use is from the old Hensley & Gibbs #68 mould.

^. I saw that too and just can't believe it..... I've loaded 5.5 and it's a mouse fart... There's got to be a powder/weight combo out there that will give me something "buffalo bore-ish".

I load 6.0 gr of Alliant Power Pistol with 230 gr. lead bullets and they hit 960 on the chrono. Max load for jacketed bullets was 6.7 gr. so I just reduced the load a little. I believe this is the fastest I will try to push these. Recoil is heavy. Sorry I dont have a load for 200 grainers. My target load is 5.0 gr. of bullseye. Much softer recoil, easier to shoot accurately.

8.0g of AA#5, those hard cast bullets are hard to stop.

I would recommend a 24 lb spring to keep from dinging your frame as you shoot those hotter loads.

I run 7.0 of Power Pistol under a 230gr. LRN and JHP
This gives me about 1,050 from a 1911
Lots of Punch
Not a Mouse fart load, start much lower

Last edited:
Back