Went after the jacks again yesterday

d2admin

Administrator
Have not been out jump shooting jacks for over a month, so decided to give the coyotes a break and go after the rabbits with my Dad yesterday. Went to my best spot. Weather was perfect, clear blue sky, fresh snow on the ground, not much wind, temps in the mid 30's. From the tracks on the ground and the number of carcasses laying around, it was obvious that others have found these rabbits since the last time I was there. Oh well, it's public land and that's life. Still quite a few around, just a whole lot more spooky than they had been before. Most of our shots were at runners - once jumped, they weren't stopping much. In four hours, I ended up taking 29 shots with my 788 .22-250, killing 14 jacks. My Dad went 8 for 17 with his Savage .223. We both made quite a few memorable shots on runners out across the snow. Just gotta love watching a jack rabbit doing 35+ MPH come unglued in mid-air then skidding and tumbling 20 feet across the snow
smile.gif

- DAA

Darn right River Runner. The olympics aren't that exciting anyway. Went to see the cross country skiing the other day and couldn't help but wonder if it really cost THEM $3.50 for a cup of hot chocolate.

Shootin' jacks is more fun any day. Maybe it's just the event that was the problem though. I guess I'll try Curling next time.

hairball,
Sometimes you don't have a choice
wink.gif
,but I will need to get away soon.

Dave,
your having too much fun these days!
Saw your rabbit hunting, looks like you guys were tearing them up!
Looks like you and your friends are definately in good form. Mike

------------------
olympic-flag1.gif

I went to the woman's crosscountry yesterday, it was nice to actually be able go and see something(free tickets). I was getting pretty annoyed with all this going on and it's all out of my price range. You think the hot chocolate was bad, try 2 bucks for that really small bag of chips, the 25 cent bag.
Hunting is alot more worth the time. I just can't seem to find the time.

On my way to work this morning I hit a bunch of traffic that was apparently heading for the E center. So I went back home, grabbed a rifle and went to Lee Kay for awhile. Had the big bore range almost to myself. The 788 was shooting like a house afire. Pretty nice way to spend a Wed. morning in Feb.

Planning to go harrass the coyotes some more this weekend.

Reckon maybe I AM having too much fun.
biggrin.gif

- DAA

Back