Whopped a few jacks yesterday

d2admin

Administrator
Went back to that same little area as a few weeks ago. The snow was crusted over, not fluffy like last time. The rabbits were able to get up and stay on top of it and make some serious speed, not flounder in it like last time. There were more human tracks too. So, not near as many shot opportunities as the last time there. Still, I got 28 shots with the .22-250 and killed 13 jack rabbits. Not near as much shooting or dead bunnies as the last time, but I had a ton of fun anyway!

- DAA

DAA, Idaho has a nongame gun license for $26.50 that might be worth your while. Its good Jan. through August.

Yup, I buy one every year - mostly for the chuck hunting I do up there during the summer. Wish it was good for November and December!

- DAA

Man, I love busting jacks anytime of the year. havent tried them with a centerfire rifle yet, just the ol' 12gauge. I think it may get kinda pricey shooting jacks with my new .270win and the other hunters around may not appreciate it. I gotta get out there soon!

Dave,
One of these days we will have to get together with Randy and go out. I found a pretty good area myself yesterday, but the dogs came first. The rabbits got off easy yesterday.
Shooting running rabbits with a 223 or 250 is about the best practice anyone can get for hunting big game. When deer bust out of the brush during hunting season and go full tilt, it's almost too easy to put them down with a quick shot from 25-06 after shooting jacks during the winter and summer.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 12-25-2001).]

Went out last night got a couple with my 22-250. Only got one tonight but I did not hunt long. Saw plenty of deer though. Sure enjoy blasting rabbits when there is nothing else to shoot.

I LOVE to hunt jacks, usually use a 243 & jump em out of the sage brush. The buggers can be tough to hit until you figure out how much to lead them. I can't think of better practice for deer & elk. The last mulie buck I killed jumped out of his bed & hauled a** for the timber, I told myself "It's just a big jack" & flattened him with one shot on a dead run (at close range). After a summer of jump shooting jacks the deer look like Mack trucks.

We have a few ridges were we push the jacks down out of the thick brush into the flats where the sage is thin, flip out the bi-pod (break out the range finder on the looooong shots) & go prone. FUN FUN FUN!

Here in Oregon the jack numbers have been way down for several years. I still have a few honey holes left, my partners & I stick with the bolt actions so as to not hurt the population too bad. Had a great spot that the shot gunners found, by the end of winter I was hard pressed to find more than a few.

Here's to the under rated varmint!
JiB

Back