Suppressor & gas block question

Travis81

So I'm getting ready to start the long process of getting my first suppressor and I know its going to be awhile before I can get it but I want to get everything figured out now. Question is what are you guys that are using them have for your gas block, Noveske SwitchBlock, or one of the adjustable gas blocks? I did a couple searchs and found people talking about the switchblock but not much else when using a suppressor. If it matters this is going on an 18" with a rifle length gas system. Thanks for any input.

I have a Noveske on a 18" midlength. Runs great. What's nice about the switchblock is that you can reliably go back and forth between suppressed and unsuppressed, or completely off if you want to single shot it. Gas blowback is greatly reduced when shooting suppressed. Just don't lose the key, you won't be able to adjust the block after a few dozen rounds without it.

The JP style adjustable gas blocks work fine too, but if you want to go back and forth, it can get tiresome.

I just run a standard gas block on the suppressed ARs that I have. I have had no issues with any of the. I would not worry about over pressuring your system.

On a rifle length gas system it isn't nearly as crucial, IMO, to have an adjustable gas block compared to a pistol or carbine length system due to the pressures you're dealing with. With that said, an adjustable gas block is nice to tune things. You wouldn't necessarily need to spend the large dough on a higher end gas block, IMO, unless you intend to switch between single shot and semi auto frequently. Your suppressed and unsuppressed gas should be very very close if not the same setting on the gas block with your rifle length system I would bet.

You might check out the Kies Adjustable Gas Block.

Have you thought about your charging handle?

I'm no expert, but I have been told and have read, about using a charging handle like the PRI Gas Buster on AR's with a suppressor. It's supposed to be made a little different in the handle area to direct any blowback away from your face/eyes.....

Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonHave you thought about your charging handle?

I'm no expert, but I have been told and have read, about using a charging handle like the PRI Gas Buster on AR's with a suppressor. It's supposed to be made a little different in the handle area to direct any blowback away from your face/eyes.....

I started out looking at the PRI, the $$$ for a charging handle that does nothing to reduce the amount of gas forced back to the bolt scared me off...... $90.00???
scared.gif

I have an adjustable gas block on my CMMG 308 AR (16" w/midlength gas), it's called the "Click-Block". Made locally by Black Fox Research. Same idea as Kies and JP. Since most AR's are severely overgassed to begin with so I set it to reliably function un-suppressed and locked it down. I do get more blowback on that one than my 5.56, but then again, there's a lot more gas too.

I researched this quite a bit a while back....maybe a year ago. At the time about all I could find was the SwitchBlock, so I bought one. What jlindholm70 says above is spot on. This is a great unit. Cons are cost and height -- for example you can not run a Hogue handguard with it. This is the only reason I have YHM handguards on a couple of my rigs (to clear the gas tube which has to be able to rotate freely for adjustment).

Seeking a lower profile I eventually bought a set screw set up from Jet . It is a beautiful Titanium unit, much less expensive than Noveske and low profile handguards clear it easily. Think of this one as a unit you need to adjust when new because it gets harder to adjust after use. Also there are little allen screws to lose. Compared to what's available now I'd stay away from the traditional set screw deals....

Currently I have a Syrac Ordnance adjustable and love it. Now I don't have hundreds of rounds through the rifle with this set up, but so far so good. This set up has a detent you depress while turning the allen screw to adjust the gas. I set it up at the last range outing and I am very happy with it. It is quite a bit less expensive than the Noveske, functions well, is much lower profile than Noveske, and a lot less expensive.

Finally, if you want to go "all in" just get this Colt. It comes with a finger adjustable gas block. You know you want one! LOL.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonHave you thought about your charging handle?

You can mod a standard charging handle to get the same result with a Dremel and some high temp permatex. Here is the Dremel work.

091.jpg

I'm using the Syrac Ordnance referenced above with a stock charging handle modified with the Dremel and the permatex and it's very nice...very little gas face at all.

Sendit

Thanks guys for all the responses. Grizzly Johnson I had not even thought about the charging so thanks for that. Sendit223 those are some nice options to have and until you said that about the switchblock not fitting under some handgaurds I had forgotten about that. I also like that Click Block that jlindholm70 has. I should have added earlier that this is going on a .223 with a YHM customizable handgaurd. Sendit I see how the mod you did on your charging handle works but what is the permatex for? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Travis81Sendit I see how the mod you did on your charging handle works but what is the permatex for? Thanks

Permatex is for sealing the gap between the top of the charging handle at the back of the upper.

Sendit

Back