White Oak Armament or Bison Armory in 6.8 SPC II?

AROKHUNTER

I am about to put together my first AR 15 and am debating between White Oak Armament and Bison Armory for the upper chambered in 6.8 SPC II. Both companies seem to have their uppers priced pretty close. Can some of you give me your experienced opinions of these two? Any opinions would be apprecieated.

May want to look into ARP and something that uses a Wilson Barrel.

Also, go to 6.8 forums and you will find a lot of info.

As far as I know, John at White Oak uses a Shilen stainless barrel for his 6.8 builds. He commissioned Shilen to produce blanks just for the 6.8 SPC in 1:11 twist, 4-land 4-groove. I too use these barrels and have had outstanding results with them.

You will not go wrong with using John at White Oak. Very nice guy, and probably the best AR smith in the country.

My WOA is the top rifle with the optional Shilen 4 groove. If I remember right it was only $25 more than the standard barrel which is a 6 groove Wilson I think. M4 ramps. I like mine alot and have it shooting less than .375 with 120gr SST handloads. It has a low profile gas block and I've since added a Yankee Hill tube that went right over it. It has forward assist, which is a must for hunting as far as I'm concerned. Not sure about the Bison.

2ars.jpg

+1 on WOA

Mine is a 4 groove 1:12 16" barrel, it shoots everything I throw in it at least MOA, but really likes 110gr Hornady factory loaded VMAX

It puts them in ragged holes at 75 yds

I have a Bison Armory stainless 16" 1-11 4 groove in a recon profile. The barrel was made by ER Shaw, and shoots my handloads well under MOA, and sometimes under .5 MOA if I get lucky. Ben is great to work with, and puts out a quality product for the money. I was going to just buy my bolt and barrel from Bison, but Ben requested I send him the RRA upper, and the YHM forearm I was going to use and he assembeled the entire upper, and test fired it, at no charge other than the parts I bought from him. I've had zero issues with my upper since I got it over two years ago. I recently had Ben build a second upper for a friend, and it seems as if is going to perform just as mine does.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGMay want to look into ARP and something that uses a Wilson Barrel.

Also, go to 6.8 forums and you will find a lot of info.

Totally agree.

Sendit

I've tried getting in contact with ARP, but he is in the middle of a big move right now and I had sent an e-mail to him last week and have not heard anything back. I have read a LOT of good things about ARP, but I just do not know what kind of a timeline he is on with this move. Ben at Bison Armory has been out sick and John at White Oak was gone this last week, but I did talk to Jane at White Oak. I have also talked to Mike at Dtech and that is about it for now. I am going to try to get in touch with some of them this week and hopefully come to a decision pretty soon and get the upper ordered. Thanks for all of the info and advice.

Just a heads up, I talked to Darrel at D9firearms and he has some WOA 18" barrels. I am having one built and should be ready in a week or two. Darrel is a top notch guy and builds some nice uppers. I am not sure of your timeline but might check him out.

^^^
ksduckhntr-I appreciate the info for D9. I am going to give these other guys a chance first and kinda start narrowing down my choices. I have these 3 on my mind and I wanna get the details and pricing worked out with them first. My small mind can't handle too much at once. I will definitely keep D9 in mind though. I am not so much on a timeline really, it's just that some builders are up to 9 months out. Mike at Dtech told me to expect the full 9 month wait. Jane at White Oak said that they had a 12 week wait right now. I just wanna get my order in if it will take 9 months, cause it doesn't seem like parts are getting any easier to get ahold of from what I am hearing.

Yeah no worries, just knew that Darrel used WOA barrels. Good luck all the builders you are looking make excellent products that won't disappoint at all.

Back