Accuracy expectations

Longnkrnch

What kind of accuracy / groups shoul I reasonably expect from military ammo like M193, out of my ATH? I know not to expect it to shoot like good Hornady stuff, but what is reasonable?

I thought that Rock River guaranteed accuracy results...I don't remember hearing that it was with any special ammo...

Just my own personal standards, but any rifle that won't produce close to 1 MoA accuracy with factory ammo at 100 yards, when shot from a solid rest, gets moved to someone else...

I will admit that I have run into some military hard ball rifle ammo that was not the best in the world. but it still performed good enough to stay within a 2" group from a rest..

Any of my rifles that don't shoot MOA or better with 2-3 types of ammo gets moved on.

With the help and input of this forum and others, my last two AR's both shoot under MOA with multipal types of factory ammo.

The rifle is new. I've had about 100 rds through it. Getting about 1moa wit fed XM193. About 2" with some privi partisan stuff. I'm gonna try a better rest that is a little more steady. The one I have now doesn't worn real well with the long mags. May just be a rest or ME issue. My bolt rifles AND, my BM 450 will often shot one clover leaf hole at 100. Also gonna try some good commercial ammo for comparison as well.

My D-Tech will shoot Hornady 55 gr. V-Max into 1/2" groups consistently at 100 yards and I don't think I've ever broken 1 MOA with any brand of FMJ.

Granted, I haven't tried everything available, but the difference is huge.

So is the price.
scared.gif

I didn't start getting my best groups out of the barrel until close to 200 rounds, though. You may still be getting some improvement with more shooting.

Last edited:
Put together some reloads this weekend with Varget and H335. Best group was with the Varget at .9". The H335 came in at 1.6". Gonna make some load adjustments and try it again next weekend. Don't think think the XM193 is capable of much better than 2MOA with an occasional 1" at best.

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchWhat kind of accuracy / groups shoul I reasonably expect from military ammo like M193, out of my ATH? I know not to expect it to shoot like good Hornady stuff, but what is reasonable?

M193 and M855 are military rounds designed to be inexpensive to produce and effective against personnel, they are not the ammo I would choose to determine the accuracy benchmark for a given rifle. Expect 1-3 MOA accuracy depending on your rifle and skills. I have rifles that easily go under 3/4 moa with quality ammo but barely hold 2-3 MOA with FMJ. I have never seen any FMJ ammo shoot as well as a quality bullet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerMy D-Tech will shoot Hornady 55 gr. V-Max into 1/2" groups consistently at 100 yards and I don't think I've ever broken 1 MOA with any brand of FMJ.

Granted, I haven't tried everything available, but the difference is huge.

So is the price.
scared.gif

I didn't start getting my best groups out of the barrel until close to 200 rounds, though. You may still be getting some improvement with more shooting.

Same here my DPMS shoots 1/2 in moa with vmax and not very good with 55 gr factory FMJ

Originally Posted By: ricky_arthurOriginally Posted By: LongnkrnchWhat kind of accuracy / groups shoul I reasonably expect from military ammo like M193, out of my ATH? I know not to expect it to shoot like good Hornady stuff, but what is reasonable?

M193 and M855 are military rounds designed to be inexpensive to produce and effective against personnel, they are not the ammo I would choose to determine the accuracy benchmark for a given rifle. Expect 1-3 MOA accuracy depending on your rifle and skills. I have rifles that easily go under 3/4 moa with quality ammo but barely hold 2-3 MOA with FMJ. I have never seen any FMJ ammo shoot as well as a quality bullet.

Exactly. Can't expect to shoot MOA with Tula

My ATH will shoot Remington UMC green and yellow box and PMC bronze 55 gr FMJ into nice groups, typically covered by a dime or nickel.

Back