For those of you with adjustable cheek piece

Buster Hindend

I'm doing some research for a future build.

My primary use for this rifle will be deer hunting in Ky which will mostly be from a tree stand. I would occasionally shoot some steel for fun.

I was looking at some Manners Stocks and notice that they have the option of an adjustable cheek piece. However, it adds about one pound of weight. I was wondering if it was worth the weight.

Anyone with any experience?

Last edited:
If you shoot prone it is. Otherwise, you can always buy something like a Karsten for around $60 or an Eagle pack, both of which can be removed for hunting, if you wish. In your case, I would probably vote for one of the latter 2 options....

For me its worth the weight! I use my rifles for target shooting almost every week so the ability to adjust the cheek weld to fit properly and comfordably is worth the extra pound of weight.

Really when you think about it you will only have to carry that extra pound 1 week a year here in state for deer!

Also I dont know what your budget is but it will cost an extra 100-150 dollars for the adjustable model manners over the fixed ones!

Personally on a hunting rifle I wouldn't do it and dont think its worth the extra weight and money. Once you have the cheek height set I cant imagine a reason to change it. Dont get me wrong here...it is definately nice to be able to dial it in exact in a matter of seconds, just as it's very important for best accuracy to have the thing set dead on for you. There are several other ways to do it but for alot of guys none of them look "tacticool" enough. Some of the first adjustable stocks I ever saw were made for the Army and Marines snipers/target shooters. This was because eventually the gun would pass on to other shooters and need a different adjustment. Again I cant imagine the same shooter needing to change it unless you change scopes/rings and bases to create a different height. I have several long range target type rifles with McMillan stocks that all have the adjustment but none of my hunting rifles have it and there isn't a stock made I can't buy. My nephew ordered a Manners stock several months ago and he was told yesterday two more weeks...Manners are nice if you can stand the wait.

A Manners??? I better get to work on a dealership...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunIf you shoot prone it is. Otherwise, you can always buy something like a Karsten for around $60 or an Eagle pack, both of which can be removed for hunting, if you wish. In your case, I would probably vote for one of the latter 2 options....

WORD

Get a stock pack.
Pad it, as necessary, underneath the comb to get proper cheek height.
Comes off with Velcro straps for when you want to run a cleaning rod down the tube.
Padded packs are waaaay more comfy to shoot with than a fiberglass hunk of cheekpiece.
Plus, you can squirrel away all kinds of goodies in a stock pack...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: knockemdownOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunIf you shoot prone it is. Otherwise, you can always buy something like a Karsten for around $60 or an Eagle pack, both of which can be removed for hunting, if you wish. In your case, I would probably vote for one of the latter 2 options....

WORD

Get a stock pack.
Pad it, as necessary, underneath the comb to get proper cheek height.
Comes off with Velcro straps for when you want to run a cleaning rod down the tube.
Padded packs are waaaay more comfy to shoot with than a fiberglass hunk of cheekpiece.
Plus, you can squirrel away all kinds of goodies in a stock pack...
wink.gif

Yeah the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a stock pack.

I love my Eagle pack. Raised the cheeck just enough, lets me remove my bolt without taking it off, and has 5 nice ammo loops and a zippered compartment for a something like an allen wrench, turret caps, dope card, wind meter, or extra ammo. Also isn't like having a cold hard surface on your cheek in the winter.

That's an interesting setup Tim, how well does it carry when not in use? venatic, that looks just like the Eagle pack I have with 3 extra velcro loops. The only issue I've had running a stock pack is when I tried to use it with my Accu-shot monopod. The rear velcro strap got in the way of the pod. I ended up moving the strap closer to the middle one and it was fine. The triad version looks like it may have more room. I know somebody was making one to hold two ammo cards or an extra mag like an AICS or AR, it may be theirs.

Venatic: Ben is running that Triad pack over a seperate BALS rear bag set-up. It seems to work good for him.

Corey: When not in use the BALS rear bag straps onto the right side of your stock away from your face so it's pretty well out of the way until you need it. But, I've been using it with the flush cups and a Timber Butte Outdoors Outlaw sling which keeps the bolt handle and rear bag away from my back. I'm now experimenting with the Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack which puts the rear bag out of the rifle scabbard. So...that said, I haven't really used it with a standard carry sling. I will say that a big rifle case is necessary to leave it attached in the case. I unstrap it and lay it under my stock. I'm using the NcStar Shooting Mat/Case and there is plenty of room in it.

http://no-off-season.com/store/rifle-cases-packs/NcStar-rifle-case

Back