Need help with scope selection options

redrivergar

I recently purchased a new DPMS AR15. It has the 16" 1 in 9 twist barrel in .223 or 5.56. I bought a carry handle to use as a sight and I have ran 3 mags through it so far. I want to put a scope on it but I have noticed that after shooting it the handle is loose. I have tightened it as tight as possible with only my hand. When I mount the scope, do I really torque it or is there a trick to it? Almost forgot to ask about a good scope for coyote hunting. Daylight only, most shots under 200 yards, price in mind is under 300.00. My gun is not the sportical, it has a dust cover and forward assist. Not sure which model it is. Thanks for any input.

Torque the cross bolts to 60 in/lbs. Harbor Freight has wrenches for like $18.

A regular 3-9 would be fine for those distances. My wife and I were ringing steel at 300 with ease with her 6X45 AR. It has a 3-9X40 buckmaster on it. Great scope for the coin. Even a 2-7X would suffice.

Dont overlook the Mueller APT 4.5-14X40. JoeBobOutfitters.com has em for less than $200 with free shipping and a free T-Shirt!

It is unclear to me as to if your ar is a flat top and you ordered a carry handle to add to the top rail or if your carry handle is a fixed part of your reciever. If your carry handle is seperate then you have many great options. Keep the carry handle as an iron sight option and get a riser(to get the scope up for proper eye relief) like one of these http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rail_Risers_s/3015.htm which will allow your choice of scope rings to make for a solid scope mount. Adding a scope to the top of the carry handle is OK, but not the best solution if you have a flat top upper. Regards

Back