.22lr enough for bobcats?

I would think that if you have anything at all more powerful, then I'd use it. I know that plenty of folks have shot dogs/people/cats/deer with .22lr so they claim. Personally I am NOT AT ALL interested in wounding an animal so that it escapes initially, only to bleed out later where I can't find it.

I'd spring for a .223 or a shotgun, or even a .17 Remington or a .17HMR before I bothered actively hunting bobcats or other predators with a .22lr.

Just my $.02

The 22lr works great on Tom Cats. I haven't shot a bobcat but I would think it would. If you have another option for your shooter use it. You can't go wrong with a 223.

If a .22LR is all you have I would find another sport. unless you hit the cat straight on between the eyes with a CCI velocitor or equivalent at lesss than fifty yards. I would go up to a .22 Hornet or .223 minimum, lets not let the cat suffer too long, put it down as quick
as possible. Good shootin!!!!!

Scott12

The only thing I use a .22lr for is dipatching animals in traps.I'd say go with a larger caliber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would say a 22-Mag. useing Winchester hp with good shot placement out to 125 yard will kill any bobcat. Look at Randy Anderson's Vermanator viedo most all bobcats are shot with a 22-mag. on it. If you are putting the fur up there will be some big holes to sew up with larger cal. A guy could down load a 223 and get by if it was all he had.Just my .02 worth .

Back