loss of individual rights

sweatybetty

here we have the state telling a private business that they must do business with someone they dont wish to, or pay a $7000 fine. does this make the business owners liberal scum?

entire story here

http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/refuse-to-photograph-lesbians-get-fined-7000/

A ruling from Judge Tim L. Garcia in the New Mexico Court of Appeals says states can require Christians to violate their faith in order to do business, affirming a penalty of nearly $7,000 for a photographer who refused to take pictures at a lesbian “commitment” ceremony in the state where same-sex “marriage” was illegal.

You bring up a good point. What if Cabelas refused to hire a cross dressing transvestite with a beard because the typical Cabelas customer wouldn't want to deal with it. Should the cross dressing transvestite with a beard be award damages because Cabelas is protecting their image and customer base, or should Cabelas be allowed to hire whomever they want?

Now you've got me rethinking the whole vet non-rental thing. He probably does have a case because of Massachusetts laws, but is it right that he has a case?

Originally Posted By: IversNow you've got me rethinking the whole vet non-rental thing. He probably does have a case because of Massachusetts laws, but is it right that he has a case?

my point is that that woman is, the same as anyone in the USA, entitled to her beliefs, no matter if we agree or not. we are losing our right to believe what we choose. whats next? look at the catholic church and contraceptives. choosing who you can rent your house to. deciding who you want as a customer. big bro is getting way too big. and the problem is that we are feeding him.

This is specifically why protection, or even DEFINITION of classes is dangerous. Affirmative action has led to the loss of self determination in businesses. I want to be able to deal with only those I choose to deal, however, if I advertise, I have to deal with everyone. If I don't want to sell to a white person that is male, it is perfectly acceptable. If that person is gay, it is not. If I want to not deal with a black, hispanic, oriental, etc. person, and I am white, it is illegal. If I am a "minority" that is NON-WHITE, it is not. In fact, if I am a so-called minority, my right to deal only with other minorities is amplified! In addition, the government is using my tax dollars to prosecute me if I go against their will! Further, they will use the taxes I submit to enforce the version of the law that is more preferable to their desire, even if my side would have a real claim were I another color. You see, the government ALSO participates in deciding with whom they want to do business regarding protected classes, but they are not held accountable for the double standard! Like I said, it will be worse before it gets better, and it is soon going to get pretty ugly. (ymmv)

Back