Hand gun for squirrels

I don't have a pic of my Ruger Mark I,

but I laid a JFK headshot on a tree rat this morning.

Distance = 20 yds - from my living room window to the corner of the picnic table..

I'm pretty consistent at opening the window first...
w00t.gif

tenderencore003.jpg

OTT 17m2 contender...it will shoot them as far as you can stand to shoot them. it gets a lil touchy past 200 yards with wind but you can dial it in.

This is my go to hand gun for squirrels within 10 yards. I can shoot their bodies off their head every time.
50BMG.jpg

Just kidding, I do favor the FN 5.7 x 28mm on the squirrels. I can make them disappear out to 50 yards.

I use a T/C contender 10" and a Ruger SuperSingleSix....both can have a scope or iron sights...been using open sights last couple of years....open sights 50 yards would be lucky....mostly a lot closer...this one I think was closer to 40 yards... used sub sonics, went in one side of skull and into body (edited to add second pic and ammo used)

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsOriginally Posted By: gman2153

Classy
rolleyes.gif

Good choice of words.....not.

Im with you panthr760. Maybe nothing wrong was meanbt by the statement but it seems a little distasteful. You know like that is a shot to brag about. Now on a squirrel I will brag about head shots but that is kindof the wrong example to use.Not meaning to cause friction just my opinion.
Daryl P.

Originally Posted By: gman2153I don't have a pic of my Ruger Mark I,

Maybe I'm just a little off, but I thought that was funny as HE11
DaFUnk

Originally Posted By: gman2153I don't have a pic of my Ruger Mark I,

Distance = 20 yds - from my living room window to the corner of the picnic table..

I'm pretty consistent at opening the window first...
w00t.gif

You have a squirrel season in may? Must be nice.

Missouri's season opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and runs until Feb. 15th of the following year. When the mulberry gets ripe if there is a cool morning or two I have always snuck out for a hunt. This year has been a scorcher and I haven’t made it out. Probably won’t now until the hickory nuts get ready and the squirrels begin to get into them pretty heavy. That’s usually happening by first of September around here. Maybe the temperature will be under 100* by then… hopefully. On a brighter note, there seems to be a lot of squirrels this year and if the mast crop makes it through the drought and heat I expect there will be good hunting this fall.

When the scope on my CZ 452 went down on me I smacked a few around with my Ruger Single Six, I love this little gun. Unfortunate for that CZ too... I had high hopes for it. Oh well, I'll be puting peep sights on it, maybe those wont go down on me and it'll have its revenge! No doubt the single six will still be right on my side, just in case I get the hankerin'
thumbup1.gif

photo.jpg

(edited becaue my i had to figure out how to post this picture on my ipad...)

Last edited:
I wish I could put a different trigger in this .17 but was told by a gunsmith that it could not be made any better or replaced. it would make a great squirrel gun. it has only seen paper. just has a heavy trigger

DSCF7185.jpg

i hunt squirrels with either a Ruger MK II 22/45, 6 7/8 inch slab BBL with a 4X Simmons scope or a MK II 22/45 4 inch BBL with open sites.

i had a Taurus Tracker in .22 LR and it was a total piece of crap. with a scope and benchrested, the best group i could get at 15 yards was about 3 1/2 to 4 inches. i traded that gun real quick. i really did like the feel and fit of it though.

Back