Upland with a bow? What first bow?

TripleDeuce660

I'm intersted in taking chukar with a bow because here in CA the season opens 2 months early. Figure I will be taking any shot I can get be it on the ground or in the air. I would also like to do other small and upland game like jacks, quail, grouse, and maybe turkey. Eventually I will want to take hogs, deer, and coyote with the bow.

I'm having a very hard time finding info on bird hunting with bows. Probably cuz its so dang hard. I saw one guy on teh web site called In Flight Archery that uses a recurve with a tiny fishing pole on it that retrieves the arrows. This looks pretty awesome!

What I'm looking for is the Savage or Tikka of bows. Nothing fancy but good performance for the average joe who will hunt just a couple days a year. Plan to do some practice in my back yard too.

Cabelas has a 58" bear recurve that and cost 300 something. Is something like this any good? Kinda like the price and simplicity of the recurve. I know the other bows with cams and stuff are easier to hold steady as they take pressure off when fully drawn.

I'm 6'1" 180 lbs. I have longer then average arms and a medium build. I know I need the right size but have no clue what size that would be.

What I have gathered is the flu flu fletching arrows are what I need. I read some guys recomend blunt tips but I have also read about tips that are like a coiled wire that just basicaly knocks the bird out. The coiled wire type seem like it gives more area and more chance of connecting. What kinds of arrows would I need?

Last edited:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bear174-Archery-Grizzly-Recurve-Bow/742975.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbow%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26W

Here is the bear bow.

I do notice it has great reviews. I also notice one guy says it will accomodate his 33" draw. I did go to a local shop once and get measured for draw cuz my wife wanted a bow and so we went to look at them, can't remember what it was but for some reason I think it was around 31 or more.

Last edited:
I see I can get one of these bears used off ebay for 100 bucks, that is more in my price range! Just have to wait for a 60 lb.

Do bows go bad?

I will check out rudderbows.

I looked at CA hunting regulations and there isn't a minimum draw weight as I thought. It says must be able to throw the arrow 130 feet.

I went to the local archery store they measured my draw length as 31.25".

I played with a few bows and 45 or 50 lbs is plenty for me.

They told me look for a really long recurve bow like 64" or 66" because of my long draw length. They also said even for compound bows it will limit the bows that will work for me.

Usually the draw weight is rated for a 28" draw and if you draw longer it gets heavier. Traditional bows are a kick in the pants and just the ticket for small game IMO. Its fun to just walk around in the woods and shoot things, it doesnt even have to be alive. Pinecones, cowpies, leaves, anything.

I think the 130 yards rule is if your gonna hunt big game. I hunt with a 62lb draw longbow but I actually enjoy shooting my grandpas old bear grizzly that is 45lbs better and it is plenty capable of killing a deer or pig.

I've also found that with the stance I use and pulling with no let-off my draw length is a little shorter than what my measured drawlength is for my compound.

Ok I'm looking more closely at rudderbows.

I like the price, I like that its not some mass produced china crap too... They offer custom draw lengths up to 31"

I didn't look close before because I saw they are mostly long bows. I did see they have a recurve.

I guess i'm open to a long bow. What is the pro con of recurve vs longbow?

I believe I want a arrow shelf. Looks like some the arrow just rests on your hand? i think I also want a pistol grip. It looks more comfortable. Seems like it will fill the palm of the hand cuz i have very large hands. For example some people complain a g20 is too big in the grip, I could use an even bigger grip and like it better with gloves on.

They have soooooooooooo many bows I am overwhelmed with which one is good for me and they are all in my price range.

If you go looking at used recurves, make sure the limbs have
not warped. You check by drawing it back and letting up on
it. Then check to see where the string lays in relation to
the limbs. It should lay dead center in the groves on the
back side of the limbs toward the tips. If it doesn't, pass
on it.

For arrows, see if you can find some that have flu flu
fletching. That's just real high feathers. Keeps the arrows
from going to far and makes them real easy to find on the
ground. Made for shooting birds in the air.

Been reading and searching like crazy. I am really liking the white wolf longhunter. It is deflex/reflex. Ash limbs in your color choice under clear glass limbs. Riser your choice of camo colors. The large arrow shelf and centershot design seem like it will be easier to shoot then the ruddersbows. The base price is 329 bucks. Seems to have fantastic reviews. Has a two year warranty instead of 1 year. Think it comes with Fast Flight string but for sure it is compatible with it.

If you search through the site you will find a gallery of different bows and colors. I'm liking the look of high country riser with black limbs or kaibab riser with black limbs.

http://www.whitewolfbows.com/index.html

Last edited:
Back