Squirrel rifle?

The most accurate 22 I have ever shot is a old remington model 41 targetmaster that was made in 1937. I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

Very intriguing stuff. I'll have to check out my options when purchase time comes. Like the looks of those cz rifles.

I know 22 lr is a good option but I can never hang on to one because I never shoot them. But it would be a good rifle for my boy to grow in to. But then so would the 17.....and would be nice to have a rim fire that doesn't have a trajectory like a rainbow.

But I really like the idea of putting a 22 mag barrel on the gun when the time comes for that. Choices, choices....lol....

Last edited:
My .02 (and probably exactly what it's worth)..

1st. I probably would start with a .22. Nothing makes a "shooter" like "shooting" and I really feel the .22 lends itself to plinking and targets more readily than does the .17. They are cheaper to shoot, can be extremely accurate, in many cases actually are more "reactive" on targets and can be an exceptional squirrel cartridge. And especially with subs, they are more quiet.

On the other hand..

2nd. I agree the 17 MachII may be the best squirrel hunting catridge ever. It is faster, flatter and has extreme "terminal performance". Now the debate of head versus body shots.. I hunt pretty seriously and am strictly a "head-shooter". I've been lucky enough to kill literally thousands of squirrels. On occasion, I'll put one in the head that will come out a shoulder.. the squirrel will move, as I pull the trigger, and I'll catch a shoulder - or (and I hate to admit this
blush.gif
) I'll just *miss* the head and catch a shoulder. Whether I am shooting the .22 or the .17 that shoulder usually gets "pitched". I don't care for metal or bone fragmemts in my meat - that's part of the reason I use a rimfire and shoot at the head. So whether I break the shoulder with a .22 or "mash" it with .17 - I don't lose a bit more meat by throwing that shoulder away.

Two years ago, I made the statement, "I just can't figure out why I *need* a .17 hm2." Then I hunted with one. I now own one, have another barrel on the way and will quite possibly (okay, probably) buy a CZ if I can find one that suits me (and that I can afford).
wink.gif

I really *am* trying to advocate a .22 for a "first" gun.. It just doesn't sound like it.
grin.gif

Only problem with 17 mach 2 is that the ammo is getting hard to find at least around here. Almost have to order it online. The 17hmr is available all over the place just seems the mach2 is fading pretty fast. Excellent squirrel gun though!

Another RF rifle you may want to consider is the Browning T-Bolt. I have two of them in 22LR. One has a heavier target/varmint wood stock and the other has a plastic stock. Both are very accurate.

They make one in 17HMR too and if I ever decided to go back to an HMR it would be the Browning.

I have not been tree rat hunting in years. My favorite gun, that I still have, is a Marlin 22/410 O/U. Between the 22LR and a 3" 410 I am pretty well set for tree rats or Peter Cottontail. My Dad bought it new before I was born....a long time ago.

Last edited:
not trying to get off the subject but you have said your boy is noise shy,might not like a squirrels guts hanging out,is les than four, you might want to wait a little while longer with him. you want him to have a positive experience not a negative one jmho + good luck with him.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterWhy spend the money on a savage or Cz ? If its just for squirrel hunting, get a cheap single shot or something. Depending on how small he is, check into the "cricket". Or check online for a good used 22.

x2
IMO - if it is his first gun - single shot is the way to go. Make the kid "think" between shots - unloading,loading,safety measures, (practice makes perfect).

Noise - there may be a difference between the report of a 22LR vs 17 - but not great enough to make a difference. Make sure your kid wears foam ear plugs as part of the routine - no harm, no foul.

A brick of 22LR's won't break the kid's allowance account. Besides squirrels, he can shoot every can in Mom's pantry.
smile.gif

on the other hand,,,,other ammo costs may break his piggy bank.

In some states, semi's are illegal for hunting (PA is one of them).

Originally Posted By: Outwest1not trying to get off the subject but you have said your boy is noise shy,might not like a squirrels guts hanging out,is les than four, you might want to wait a little while longer with him. you want him to have a positive experience not a negative one jmho + good luck with him.

I don't disagree. But he has been asking to go with me. So I'm a little torn about that. I figure if this fall I suspect he might be sensitive to the killing I can miss everything I shoot at and we can have a lot of fun not worrying about seeing anything!

That's the primary reason I don't plan to buy anything until September. There's a decent chance that I will just take his little Rossi single shot with us and a handful of subsonics with us for show.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2153
EasternPredHunter said:
Why spend the money on a savage or Cz ? If its just for squirrel hunting, get a cheap single shot or something. Depending on how small he is, check into the "cricket". Or check online for a good used 22. [

Noise - there may be a difference between the report of a 22LR vs 17 - but not great enough to make a difference. Make sure your kid wears foam ear plugs as part of the routine - no harm, no foul.

Wrong! I am more noise sensitive than anyone. I have a ruptured ear drum in my left ear. It is super sensitive sound. I can not shoot a 22lr without it hurting my left ear. The 17mach 2 does not affect it at all (that I can tell). There is a noticeable difference in the crack between the 2

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterWhy spend the money on a savage or Cz ? If its just for squirrel hunting, get a cheap single shot or something. Depending on how small he is, check into the "cricket". Or check online for a good used 22.

I have a small single shot 22 youth Rossi combo. He won't be hunting, it will be me hunting with him watching. He is just under four. In a few years he will be big enough to shoot his Rossi.

And I just want a new toy. I'll wait until this summer to get one. Might find a nice one used one then.

Then by all means, get a good one that you want. I was thinking it was for the kid, and a good beat up gun would be the best in this area.

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in Ohio

I have a small single shot 22 youth Rossi combo. He won't be hunting, it will be me hunting with him watching. He is just under four. In a few years he will be big enough to shoot his Rossi.

And I just want a new toy. I'll wait until this summer to get one. Might find a nice one used one then.

I'd go with a nice pellet rifle for him.
Will give him something to carry and learn the basics with.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: Yoteless in Ohio

I'd go with a nice pellet rifle for him.
Will give him something to carry and learn the basics with.

I hadn't considered a pellet gun. I hear they can be hunted with nowadays. What is the effective range with one of the better ones?

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Gamo's but haven't tried 1 1st
hand. I still have my old crosman pump up that I use from
time to time.

Back