BEST LOAD IN 22-250

stdilbeck12

YOU SAVAGE OWNERS WHAT IS THE BEST LOAD FOR YOUR 110 PREADTOR I BEEN TRYING H380 POWDER WITH NOSLER 55GR VARMIT AND HORNADY IN 55 GR SP
unsure.gif

380 is great but I shoot year round. don't like the PSI and Vol. variances. I now use Varget, works real well. Load data was taken from Hogdon website. Check it out.

Originally Posted By: stdilbeck12YOU SAVAGE OWNERS WHAT IS THE BEST LOAD FOR YOUR 110 PREADTOR I BEEN TRYING H380 POWDER WITH NOSLER 55GR VARMIT AND HORNADY IN 55 GR SP
unsure.gif

"H-380". Why in this world would you still be using a "ball" powder? Get in the game, man. "Extreme", extruded powder is the only way to go.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: stdilbeck12YOU SAVAGE OWNERS WHAT IS THE BEST LOAD FOR YOUR 110 PREADTOR I BEEN TRYING H380 POWDER WITH NOSLER 55GR VARMIT AND HORNADY IN 55 GR SP
unsure.gif

"H-380". Why in this world would you still be using a "ball" powder? Get in the game, man. "Extreme", extruded powder is the only way to go.

thumbup.gif

I used to use h380 for my savage but it was very inconsistent depending on the temp. Now I use varget with the 53 and 55 vmax and have had much better results.

The guy lives in Ga, no extremes in temps much there.

I used 38.0g of H380 with a fed 210 for years with the Sierra 55g bullets, all the way up to 39.2 which was a max load(approach with caution).

I probably shot a 40 lbs of H380 in the desserts of Ca, Nv, and Az. We shot so many jackrabbits that we walked around the dessert jump shooting jacks with bags that hold shotguns shells normally seen on trap and skeet fields( I used for 22/250's) on each hip.

For those of us that have not lived in the extreme colds of the Northern climantes, it is hard for us to comprehend the winters that you guys go through.

Here is a site that has a lot of loads reported by shooters, lots of loads listed by savage shooters:

www.centerfirecentral.com

Last edited:
I've used the 38.0 grains of H-380 in my Savage(albeit it is a model 14) with a combined tech 55 gr bullet and Nosler 55 grain BT, and I have no plans to change.

I wouldn't knock H-380 in a 22-250 until you try it.
H-380 has been the most accurate powder in my rifles
over the last 25 years, and I have owned alot of 22-250s.
There are other powders that may work great but I always try
H-380 in the test.

Start around 37 grains and work up, you will find an
accurate load with this powder.
P.S. This rifle was 10 years old and had well over 1000
rounds down the barrel when I saved this target.
VSFTarget.jpg

You'll just have to try different stuff to find what your gun likes best. In 22-250 and 22-250AI I shoot 50/55's. Winchester 760 always worked really well. Even better for me - more accurate and faster - is RL15.

Ditto ^^^^^

In my savage Model 10, varmint bbl (26") 1 in 12" twist, 38.0 of H380 with 52 or 53 grain bullets prints tiny groups.

In my Remington 700 it's 36grs of IMR4320. Maybe a little less behind a heavier bullet.Seat them to just off the lands and you're good to go.

First powder I tried in the .22-250 was H380, that was in May. Noticed all summer poi kept changing, winter was horrible. After 6 months of use I can tell you H380 might be good if you lived on the equator where temp and humidity are constant.

Nope, I went to Varget and haven't even looked back.

I use h380 in montana but I only use my 22-250 for pdogs and rock chucks in the summer. If I was to use it the winter I would still use h380, because on paper I havent noticed that much of a change.

For ultimate accuracy my Savage LRPV 1x12 twist absolutely loves 35.2 gr of CFE 223 with 69 gr SMKs loaded to lands.

I know people knock H380, but it just flat out shoots for me in 22-250's...all of them. And I live in South Dakota, land of extreme temps. I have tried benchmark and varget and other 'extreme' powders that don't seem to shoot as well as my H380 loads do for me.

So, the new fancy extreme powders might be less temp sensitive, but I am a bit old fashioned and I will keep using what works for me.

I think if more people would choose a single good load, no matter the powder, bullet, etc...then actually learn to shoot their gun with that load, they would find they are much more successful than spending countless hours looking for the "perfect" load...

To answer the OP's question, my best 22-250 load has been as follows:
38.5gr H380
Win Brass
Remington BR 9.5 primers
Nosler BT 55gr
Each of my 22-250's has required a change in seating depth, but not a change in any other load component.

Back